PC Security

Old January 30th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default PC Security

I have lurked here for several years and posted the occasional message but I can't recall reading
about the desired security arrangements on PCs that share a Broadband connection. Yes they could be
treated as two separate PCs and have fortress security on each, but in my case, and probably for
other people as well, I wish to freely share almost everything on the hard drives of each machine on
the local area network but at the same time have excellent protection from nasties off the Internet.

Is this aim mutually exclusive and what is the best that one can hope to achieve?

Assume the local area network sits behind a router, a quality AV product is used with automatic
updating switch on and each PC with Xp SP2 [automatic updates on]. NAT is used with a non default
range in the series 192.168.yyy.xxx Equipment is seldom shut down.

Thoughts, suggestions and friendly observations and comment would be appreciated.

David Bradley

Old January 30th 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thoughts, suggestions and friendly observations and comment would be
appreciated.

Should be fine - once you`re behind a router you`re a whole lot safer
unless you start to open ports.

One thing I would suggest from prior experience would be to put a
password - no matter how trivial - on the shared drives, my reason being
some network aware viruses hunt for open shared drives, and having a
password on them will restrict easy cross-infection.