10 km line

Old January 30th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cliff Goldsmith

Default 10 km line

can anyone recommend a modem or router for a 10 km line
BT engineer said that i am on the border line of getting broadband and not
getting it. he also said some hardware is better than others. there might be
a modem or router out there capable of getting broadband. he had a netgear
which would synchronise for around 20-30 seconds then drop its connection

thanks
cliff goldsmith

Old January 30th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

In message , N/A
writes
I believe that the Speedtouch routers are supposed to be good for long
lines.

I first got 512 kbs ADSL in Aug 2003 and at the time was on the Extended
Reach scheme (radsl) and my ST 530 has never had any problems. Now my
connection is up to 1 meg.

Im 6kM from newly enabled exchange but my speedtouch wont synchronise.
Now BT will disconnect ADSL so I wont have the chance to test other
modems .
We are high dialup users 2000+pa on one line and could save a lot with
ADSL it is not in BTs interest to provide
--
dd
Old January 30th 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

"Cliff Goldsmith" wrote in message
can anyone recommend a modem or router for a 10 km line
BT engineer said that i am on the border line of getting broadband and not
getting it. he also said some hardware is better than others. there might
be
a modem or router out there capable of getting broadband. he had a netgear
which would synchronise for around 20-30 seconds then drop its connection

thanks
cliff goldsmith

The Alcatel Frog is good on long lines, and is very cheap if not free now a
days.

Personally I prefer a router, and the Draytek series are one of the best on
long lines. They even have special firmware for long lines, that alters how
it distributes the data in the spectrum.

Old January 30th 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

.
We are high dialup users 2000+pa on one line and could save a lot with
ADSL it is not in BTs interest to provide
--
dd

try a draytek. very good on long lines. I am on 6.4km with 1 meg. Mo
problems at all.

SNR hovers around 13-14dB
dB 64dB attenuation

Old January 30th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:45:08 -0000, "Cliff Goldsmith"
wrote:

BT engineer said that i am on the border line of getting broadband and not
getting it.

Zen's Home250 has a better chance of working, needs half the useable
downstream channels.

Phil

Old January 30th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

We are high dialup users 2000+pa

How much? are you on PAYG?
Why not sign with a FRIACO provider.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 30th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

In message , Graham
writes
FRIACO provider.

Who they?

--
dd
Old January 30th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

FRIACO provider.

Who they?

--
dd

Most people just pay a flat monthly rate by direct debit and can log in on a
freephone number as much as they want.
Eg Wanadoo charge GBP 15 PM which I think is expensive for dialup

15 X 12 = 180 PA

2,000 - 180 = 1,820

that's a GBP 1,820 PA saving
How many years have you been paying these sums?

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 30th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"dd" wrote in message
In message , Graham
writes
FRIACO provider.

Who they?

Fixed Rate Internet Access Call Option.

Take a look at the "umetered dialup" top 10 on this page:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

Jc

Old January 31st 05, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh dd:
In message , N/A
writes
I believe that the Speedtouch routers are supposed to be good for
long lines.

I first got 512 kbs ADSL in Aug 2003 and at the time was on the
Extended Reach scheme (radsl) and my ST 530 has never had any
problems. Now my connection is up to 1 meg.

Im 6kM from newly enabled exchange but my speedtouch wont
synchronise. Now BT will disconnect ADSL so I wont have the chance to
test other modems .
We are high dialup users 2000+pa on one line and could save a lot
with ADSL it is not in BTs interest to provide

When we were on dial-up and had a Telewest phone-line before broadband, we
were only paying a flat rate of 10 per month for unlimited dial-up.

Anyone who uses the internet that much would be crazy to use a PAYG service,
that's only for infrequent use.

I know Telewest, put the charges up to 12 after we moved home, and then maybe
higher.

But I am sure there are quite a few flat-rate dial up services around still.

Even AOL at 15.99 per month has to be better than PAYG:
http://www.aol.co.uk/products/anytime/index.html

And Virgin Net at 12.49 per month:
http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess...n/?buspart=156

--