PN at it again (Another of my rants!)

Old January 31st 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default PN at it again (Another of my rants!)

From their site here...
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa....shtml#premier
QUOTE " Broadband Home Premier is perfect for everyday Internet access.
It's suitable for regular email, browsing the web, downloading music and
movies, and playing online games. It's the best way to enjoy high-speed
Internet, especially if you want to share your broadband across a home
network."
and then if you look here...
http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2065
It appears they now expect their customers to have a limit put in place and
laughably think by consulting everyone they are going to make everyone
happy.
LOL hardly what I would call "PERFECT for everyday Internet access" and
"downloading music and movies, and playing online games"
WHEN WILL THEY LEARN??????? Its about time Trading standards and the ASA
had a look at them IMO.
Using terms such as "PREMIER" and stating things like "PERFECT for access"
and "It's suitable for regular email, browsing the web, downloading music
and movies, and playing online games". IMO is NO longer true as if they are
going to introduce a cap, how the hell can "suitable for regular email,
browsing the web, downloading music and movies, and playing online games".
Be true???? Perhaps they have their own dreamt up term for the words
"REGULAR" and "PERFECT"................Sigh!!!!! and even if they can get
away with their terminology for those words, surely "It's the best way to
enjoy high-speed Internet" is just a blatant lie, when you can get an
unlimited service from other providers, which surely is more "PERFECT" and
is a better way to "enjoy high-speed Internet?"

Old January 31st 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:33 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

From their site here...
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa....shtml#premier
QUOTE "• Broadband Home Premier is perfect for everyday Internet access.
It's suitable for regular email, browsing the web, downloading music and
movies, and playing online games. It's the best way to enjoy high-speed
Internet, especially if you want to share your broadband across a home
network."
and then if you look here...
http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2065
It appears they now expect their customers to have a limit put in place and
laughably think by consulting everyone they are going to make everyone
happy.
LOL hardly what I would call "PERFECT for everyday Internet access" and
"downloading music and movies, and playing online games"

No, *you* wouldn't call it that.

You'd be wrong.

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN??????? Its about time Trading standards and the ASA
had a look at them IMO.

Why?

What do you think they have done that either would be interested in?

Using terms such as "PREMIER" and stating things like "PERFECT for access"
and "It's suitable for regular email, browsing the web, downloading music
and movies, and playing online games". IMO is NO longer true as if they are
going to introduce a cap, how the hell can "suitable for regular email,
browsing the web, downloading music and movies, and playing online games".
Be true????

Quite easily.

The cap is going to be plenty high enough to be able to do those
things regularly. I certainly do all of them, and have never yet got
anywhere near the lowest suggested value for the cap.

Perhaps they have their own dreamt up term for the words
"REGULAR" and "PERFECT"................Sigh!!!!! and even if they can get
away with their terminology for those words, surely "It's the best way to
enjoy high-speed Internet" is just a blatant lie, when you can get an
unlimited service from other providers, which surely is more "PERFECT" and
is a better way to "enjoy high-speed Internet?"

Provided those other providers actually manage to provide the service
without significant degradation. And provided you actually want at
least 5 times the national average for BB usage.

For anybody who doesn't often use more than the monthly limits (which
haven't yet been officially decided, but the suggested amounts for
512K are between 30GB and 70GB), it is indeed perfect.

Which means anybody who does the things listed. Even if you want to
D/L huge amounts of movies or whatever, do it between 1:00AM and
8:00AM, and it will not count towards the limit.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men.

Old January 31st 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

In the Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:33 -0000, Dave uttered forth the
following...

From their site here...

Well as you've had yours.... can I have mine now? If it weren't for all
the pikeys abusing services in the 1st place they'd not have to do this.
And anyone who uses more then 150Gb a month is undoubtedly using it for
illegal means. BTW whenever I've levelled this charge at heavy users
before and then asked them to list/categorize their usage they've always
gone awfully quite and generally muttered something along the lines of
RedHat distro's etc.

Oh and before you harp on about other ISP's check out their T's & C's, I
guarantee they'll have very similar clauses to PlusNet, esp. about
changes to the T's & C's.

Anyway.. next time you want to download 20Gb of pron... go read a book
instead.

It'll expand your mind.
Old January 31st 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Sean wrote:

BTW whenever I've levelled this charge at heavy users
before and then asked them to list/categorize their usage they've always
gone awfully quite and generally muttered something along the lines of
RedHat distro's etc.

Well I'm not one of the heavy users, but I am a linux user, and I
download DVD/CD .iso images of vrious distos
(fedora/knoppix/ubuntu/debian) via BitTorrent. Even if you get a beta
release and a final release happen in the same month, and you give back
to peers as much as you take, you'd not get much past 10GB of legit
trasnfer that way ...
Old January 31st 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:11:06 +0000, Alex Heney wrote:

The cap is going to be plenty high enough to be able to do those
things regularly. I certainly do all of them, and have never yet got
anywhere near the lowest suggested value for the cap.

Wasn't the lowest cap suggested in their survey 30Gb?

I would suggest that if you were downloading music, movies, email and
browsing, that you would quite easily exceed this limit.

--

Regards

John [Essex, UK]
Remove the obvious spamtrap to reply
Old January 31st 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Andy Burns wrote:
Sean wrote:

BTW whenever I've levelled this charge at heavy users
before and then asked them to list/categorize their usage they've
always gone awfully quite and generally muttered something along the
lines of RedHat distro's etc.

Well I'm not one of the heavy users, but I am a linux user, and I
download DVD/CD .iso images of vrious distos
(fedora/knoppix/ubuntu/debian) via BitTorrent. Even if you get a beta
release and a final release happen in the same month, and you give
back to peers as much as you take, you'd not get much past 10GB of
legit trasnfer that way ...

The problem is & will be just how low are PN going to go? Just over a month
ago they were talking about 150GB + a month, now it's anything down to 30GB
a month, being bandied around & that's on a 512k premier/unlimited contract.
Even if that's clever reverse pschycology what's to say they won't keep
dropping the limits/caps/fair usage or whatever until they lose/force out
anybody who is using their ADSL service at anything like it's full
potential. There are some users wgho are claiming that anything over 3GB a
month is excessive so even you with your 10GB wouldn't be safe...

Just ticking over at this end shows nearly 1GB per day on PN's much vaunted
Bandwidth monitor & I can clock up nearly 1GB a month just by turning off my
computers & leaving the router on, well PN's meter shows 30MB plus per day
when my PC's are off

Old January 31st 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sean wrote:
In the Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:33 -0000, Dave uttered forth the
following...

From their site here...

Well as you've had yours.... can I have mine now? If it weren't for all
the pikeys abusing services in the 1st place they'd not have to do this.
And anyone who uses more then 150Gb a month is undoubtedly using it for
illegal means. BTW whenever I've levelled this charge at heavy users
before and then asked them to list/categorize their usage they've always
gone awfully quite and generally muttered something along the lines of
RedHat distro's etc.

18 hour/day webcam (as screensaver), 40GB
2 users of Radio streams. 128K*8 hours/day = 26GB/month.
2 users 10 shows / week, timeshifted from when you can't easily watch them,
500Mb*10*4*2 = 40GB/month.

And all legal.

Old January 31st 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Monday 31 January 2005 17:23 Sean wrote:

Anyway.. next time you want to download 20Gb of pron... go read a
book instead.

I suspect that 20G would take him about 6 weeks of solid downloading.
This guy is using a dial-up connection. He doesn't *have* broadband!

He just enjoys shouting his mouth off about PN.
- could even be one of the nutcases that PN threw off their dial-up
service years ago for hogging it 24/7.

Ignore him:-)

Bill
Old January 31st 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:33 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

From their site here...

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...o.shtml#premie

QUOTE ". Broadband Home Premier is perfect for everyday Internet access.
It's suitable for regular email, browsing the web, downloading music and
movies, and playing online games. It's the best way to enjoy high-speed
Internet, especially if you want to share your broadband across a home
network."
and then if you look here...
http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2065
It appears they now expect their customers to have a limit put in place

and
laughably think by consulting everyone they are going to make everyone
happy.
LOL hardly what I would call "PERFECT for everyday Internet access" and
"downloading music and movies, and playing online games"

No, *you* wouldn't call it that.

You'd be wrong.

Really??? Perhaps you should look those words up

[...]

ASSUMPTION

things regularly. I certainly do all of them, and have never yet got
anywhere near the lowest suggested value for the cap.

You are a single individual, not a group or in fact any other person that
may consider signing up to them based on their sites boasted comments

Perhaps they have their own dreamt up term for the words
"REGULAR" and "PERFECT"................Sigh!!!!! and even if they can

get
away with their terminology for those words, surely "It's the best way

enjoy high-speed Internet" is just a blatant lie, when you can get an
unlimited service from other providers, which surely is more "PERFECT"

and
is a better way to "enjoy high-speed Internet?"

Provided those other providers actually manage to provide the service

Which they do

without significant degradation. And provided you actually want at
least 5 times the national average for BB usage.

For anybody who doesn't often use more than the monthly limits (which
haven't yet been officially decided, but the suggested amounts for
512K are between 30GB and 70GB), it is indeed perfect.

Its not perfect, you obviously are using the PN terminology of that word

Which means anybody who does the things listed. Even if you want to
D/L huge amounts of movies or whatever, do it between 1:00AM and
8:00AM, and it will not count towards the limit.

I believe thats only going to be for the newsgroup side of things and not
say P2P apps, though i admit in this instance i could be wrong.

Old January 31st 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"JC" johncalias-newsgroupsATyahooD0TcoD0Tuk wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:11:06 +0000, Alex Heney wrote:

The cap is going to be plenty high enough to be able to do those
things regularly. I certainly do all of them, and have never yet got
anywhere near the lowest suggested value for the cap.

Wasn't the lowest cap suggested in their survey 30Gb?

I would suggest that if you were downloading music, movies, email and
browsing, that you would quite easily exceed this limit.

Exactly, if you downloaded nothing but movies, music and played games on
line 30GB would not be anywhere near enough, especially if you use a 2 meg
service.
HARDLY "PERFECT"