Which? Broadband report - PlusNet

Old February 1st 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Which? Broadband report - PlusNet

Nigel M wrote:

Which? magazine have just done a report on broadband ISPs.
They rated PlusNet first, then Demon & Pipex as Best Buys.

I'm a member, but you may be able to get some details from
http://www.which.co.uk/

I need a broadband ISP that:

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address (such as my
current one)
* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price
* is reliable
* manual set-up - doesn't require a CD or download
* has all the legal newsgroups, or a large number

Any thoughts on PlusNet with regard to these?

I'd say that they meet all your criteria.

You can continue to use your existing email address - as I do with my
Freeserve address. All you have to do is make a small change to your email
client so that *outgoing* mail goes via PlusNet's smtp server rather than
the current one. The pop server remains the same.

PlusNet's 512k "uncapped" service costs 21.99 per month. A lot of noise has
recently been generated by a very small number of vociforous users because
PN are proposing to restrain very heavy users who download literally tens of
GB per *day*. So a 'cap' may ultimately be imposed - but this will be
indistinguisable from truly 'uncapped' for the vast majority of users.

All ISPs suffer outages from time to time. PN is as good as any in this
respect, and better than most. At least,when there *are* problems, they come
clean and keep users informed of what is happening.

They give you sufficient information to set up your connection manually. [I
don't think that *is* a setup CD?]

They carry a good selection of newsgroups. There are about 35 with 'legal'
in the name - not all uk of course, but including uk.legal and
uk.legal.moderated. However, many people - myself included - use third
party news servers such as news.individual.net for most of our newsgroups,
which de-couples newsgroup considerations from the ISP selection process.

I would certainly recommend PlusNet. If you *do* sign up with them, perhaps
you would consider using my referral code of "mills37" which could save me a
few pence!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 2nd 05, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:05:34 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"

Nigel M wrote:

[...]

Rubbish.

the very highest proposed limit level is 150GB/month. Which is only
5GB per day, not 10s of GB per day.

The proposed limits for 512K are between 30 and 60GB/month, which
equates to between 1GB and 2 GB/day.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If God wanted us to do Hex we'd have 16 fingers

Old February 2nd 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:32:13 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

They carry a good selection of newsgroups. There are about 35 with 'legal'
in the name - not all uk of course, but including uk.legal

Thanks for the info. My request about the newsgroups was ambiguous, I
meant that I didn't expect (or want) any groups with illegal content.

There is no such thing as an 'illegal' newsgroup. Anyone can post
anything to any newsgroup 'legal' or otherwise.

Joe

Old February 2nd 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alasdair Allan

Alex Heney wrote:
the very highest proposed limit level is 150GB/month. Which is only
5GB per day, not 10s of GB per day.

The proposed limits for 512K are between 30 and 60GB/month, which
equates to between 1GB and 2 GB/day.

Can someone point me towards a URL with actual numbers on the PlusNet
website, I've seen the initial press release but it didn't contain any
sort of estimate of what the "caps" would be for different services.

Al.
--
I'm not him, I've just got the same name as him.
Old February 2nd 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.legal

Default No newsgroup is illegal? (was Which? Broadband report - PlusNet)

In article ,
Tx2 wrote:
There is no such thing as an 'illegal' newsgroup. Anyone can post
anything to any newsgroup 'legal' or otherwise.

IANAL, but anyone who is, or such like, care to comment?

As a "man in the street" i would suggest (and hope) newsgroups
containing kiddie porn are illegal to download/upload pictures from/to?

The porn may be illegal, but the group may not. Anyone can post an illegal
binary image to rec.pets.cats - but rec.pets.cats is not illegal.
Conversely someone could post to alt.binaries.erotica.kiddieporn (if it
exists) details about their cat - and the message would not be illegal.
Inferences may be drawn about the poster about their choice of newsgroup
though!

In practise use of newsgroups with names that sound as if the content will
be illegal will be investigated (by the police, groups like Internet Watch
Foundation, etc), and prosecutions may follow from there if evidence is
found of illegal content and the posters or downloaders can be identified.

I have heard that in the past people swapping illegal content (porn,
pirate software, etc) use legitimate newsgroups as a cover - but this is
anecdotal and I imagine that there are better ways (private IRC, instant
messaging, etc) that are used nowadays.

IANAL, etc.

Zane.