Searching a Router - what's best?

Old February 1st 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Bleckmann

Default Searching a Router - what's best?

I am searching for "the ideal router" for personal use (Price60 Euro - I'm
German).

Please don't tell me, what you are using and that it is working fine...

I have read a lot about problems and errors with routers:

- forwarding problems - router table (current one)

- decreased speed - processor to slow

I don't want a high-tech router, but it must not be a kind of patchwork.

I'm talking about a stable and improved product.

Further more it should support features like

- dynamic dns (for my personal web-server)

- real port-forwarding (not like the current one - problems with the higher
ports)

- the usual stuff...

BUT, and that is important to me, the router must have professional
configuration options.

WHY?

A lot of work is done in setup-assistants; some routers prevent you from
setting up the core

and advanced configuration. I call them baby toys (aka Kinderspielzeug - I'm
German remember).

It seems to me, that some of them have a certain pnp-behavior, as if they
recognize what

configuration may be required, e.g. by a certain application (like
autoportforwarding or

something) - just like the pnp-feature in the setup, but this "strange
behavior" still remains

if you switch the option of. Maybe this is a "user-friendly", but not
standard complaint

implementation of pnp-features. The other way round, some prevent actions,
although they

are allowed by a (explicit) rule in the setup.

But my statement is:

I don't want a router with an "unexpected behavior", which may bypass or
mess with the

settings. I don't want a baby toy.

Old February 1st 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Bleckmann

PS:

I am searching a router - no included modem, no wireless LAN!

This would be helpful:

Who is the world wide leader in the router segment?

Who provides the most flexible setup?

Whose products are most reliable?

"Oliver Bleckmann" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old February 1st 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Who is the world wide leader in the router segment?

Cisco.

Who provides the most flexible setup?

Cisco

Whose products are most reliable?

Cisco.

However it does come at a price and it is quite unrealistic to expect world
class equipment at a very low budget price. Rather like wanting a Mercedes
at the price of a second-hand VW Beetle.

Peter Crosland

Old February 2nd 05, 03:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Bleckmann

Hey guys,
I know that Cisco is the leader in the high-end router segment,
but not for privat use...
What about SMC, Netgear, Linksys, Allnet, D-Link, 3Com, etc. ?
Who's the best choice?
There is a SMC 7004VBR Barricade Breitband Router + Firewall for 25 ? (my
current favorit,
but I'm worried about the low price, if you know what I mean ;-)
Or a Netgear FR114P ProSafe-Firewall-Router at 65 ? ?
Does anyone sell or support these product, who can really tell what's best?

Old February 2nd 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

Oliver Bleckmann asked for views on
... Netgear FR114P ProSafe-Firewall-Router at 65 ?

Don't have experience of that model, but my experience of Netgear RP614
has not been good:

- Needs rebooting about once a week

- Flexibility of Firewall is poor (and doesn't seem to work when I try
it with xLite VOIP software or Sipura-2000 VOIP adapter

- emails to Netgear Customer Support have not been answered

- phone call to Customer Support eventually received the news that they
do not support VOIP on the RP614 (and couldn't tell me if they supported
VOIP on ANY of their other routers) - so hard luck sucker (not their
exact words, but that was the impression they gave).

If you think you might want VOIP later, do check very carefully - look
at voip newsgroup for suggestions of compliant routers.

If you think you might want to do anything beyond the most obvious,
standard, sorts of things - then download the manual first and check to
see what it will do.

It's a minefield!

John Geddes
Derbyshire