Want to VNC to pal on Tiscali ADSL

Old February 1st 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
crown21

Default Want to VNC to pal on Tiscali ADSL

Pal has Tiscali ADSL via USB (Win 2000). I've given him VNC so that I
can support him but I can't get to him. The VNC icon only shows 127.0.0.1
so I got him to do IPCONFIG from DOS prompt and found a more realistic IP
address (80.41....). Tried to VNC to this but got "Connection rejected by
peer". Then found I couldn't even ping to this address ("request timed
out").

Can anyone any assistance, please?

C.

Old February 2nd 05, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Pal has Tiscali ADSL via USB (Win 2000). I've given him VNC so that I
can support him but I can't get to him.
Can anyone any assistance, please?

Has he got a firewall ? Has it been allowed permission to get out ?

Can he connect to you via VNC ok ?

Does his firwall (if he has one) need ports forwarding / opening ?

Try allowing TCP & UDP on port 5900

Old February 2nd 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

crown21 wrote:
Pal has Tiscali ADSL via USB (Win 2000). I've given him VNC so that I
can support him but I can't get to him. The VNC icon only shows 127.0.0.1
so I got him to do IPCONFIG from DOS prompt and found a more realistic IP
address (80.41....). Tried to VNC to this but got "Connection rejected by
peer". Then found I couldn't even ping to this address ("request timed
out").

Can anyone any assistance, please?

Put your VNC viewer into listening mode, and then get him to connect to
your IP address, you still end up controlling his PC not him controlling
yours.

Doing it that way you can make sure *your* firewall is not blocking him
(you'd better not have an ISP that uses NAT) note that the listening
viewer uses a different port not the same as the vnc server.
Old February 2nd 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StuffJustHappens

crown21 wrote:

Pal has Tiscali ADSL via USB (Win 2000). I've given him VNC so that I
can support him but I can't get to him. The VNC icon only shows 127.0.0.1
so I got him to do IPCONFIG from DOS prompt and found a more realistic IP
address (80.41....). Tried to VNC to this but got "Connection rejected by
peer". Then found I couldn't even ping to this address ("request timed
out").

Can anyone any assistance, please?

C.

Have your friend surf to www.whatismyip.com to verify the IP address
they are using and follow all the other advice hereabouts.
Old February 3rd 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
crown21

Thanks to all for suggestions. I shall print them all off. I'm seeing him
at the weekend when I'll dial in with my laptop and try thinigs out.

Cheers all.

"StuffJustHappens" wrote in
message ...