Which? Broadband report - PlusNet

Old February 2nd 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

Default Which? Broadband report - PlusNet

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 12:00 Nigel M wrote:

Which? magazine have just done a report on broadband ISPs.
They rated PlusNet first, then Demon & Pipex as Best Buys.

I'm a member, but you may be able to get some details from
http://www.which.co.uk/

I need a broadband ISP that:

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address (such as my
current one)
* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price
* is reliable
* manual set-up - doesn't require a CD or download
* has all the legal newsgroups, or a large number

Any thoughts on PlusNet with regard to these?

As you might have gathered, thoughts re. that list and PlusNet centre
on your stated requirement for "uncapped".
Do you really mean that, or did you have some realistic and reasonable
figure in mind?:-)

Bill
Old February 2nd 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:19:56 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, B Gruff wrote:

Do you really mean that, or did you have some realistic and reasonable
figure in mind?:-)

Sorry, I seem to have open several old wounds ;-)

I honestly don't know what figure I have in mind. I don't have BB yet
(79 days and counting) so I can only base my usage on dial-up.

At present I do email, surfing, and *attempt* to download software
updates. I don't plan to download any media, although I guess it may
happen sooner or later. Line the old days of paying for a dial-up, I
don't like the idea of a counter that I need to be mindful of.

OK.

It sound like I have fairly similar usage to you. I do a lot of
usenet, a fair amount of web surfing, radio streaming (usually UK
radio 2), downloading of various bits of software, plus some smallish
movies.

So far I have not managed to use 10GB in any month (on a 512K
connection). I usually seem to use around 5-7GB, but it's difficult to
be sure of ongoing pattern yet, since I have only had it 5 months.