Which? Broadband report - PlusNet

Old February 2nd 05, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

Default Which? Broadband report - PlusNet

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:06:25 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

On 1-Feb-2005, Nigel M wrote:

Which? magazine have just done a report on broadband ISPs.
They rated PlusNet first, then Demon & Pipex as Best Buys.

I'm a member, but you may be able to get some details from
http://www.which.co.uk/

I need a broadband ISP that:

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address (such as my
current one)
* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price
* is reliable
* manual set-up - doesn't require a CD or download
* has all the legal newsgroups, or a large number

Any thoughts on PlusNet with regard to these?

PlusNet are planning to introduce capping so they will no longer qualify for
your needs.
They are proposing to limit 512kbs connections to somewhere between 30 and
70 GB/month, 1 meg connection to between 60 and 120 GB/month and the 2 meg
connection to somewhere between 80 and 150 GB/month.
Users who exceed the cap will have their speed reduced to somehwere between
64k and 128k.

Remember this is only if you do it three months in a row.

Baring in mind that Plusnet have already started capping at 120GB/ month
usage averaged over 3 months, I doubt that any of the new caps introduced
will be in excess of 120 GB.

No they haven't.

they previously have had no capping.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If it works, tear it apart and find out why!