Can Zen really guarantee this???

Old February 2nd 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default Can Zen really guarantee this???

Hi,

Due to the imminent Plusnet cap, I have been looking at other BB ISP sites.

I found this on the Zen site description of their home 1Mb service.

"No bandwidth cap
Unlike ADSL accounts from some other ISPs, Zen places no limits on the
amount of data you can transfer in a month. You are only restricted by the
speed of your line and the limits of your imagination as to what to
download."

Now, my question is, given BT's new charging structure, will Zen continue
to be able to offer this unlimited service...or are they likely to go the
way of Plusnet in the near future?

--

Regards

John [Essex, UK]
Remove the obvious spamtrap to reply
Old February 2nd 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ace Internet

"No bandwidth cap"

Hi John

We also offer a no caps service, with no port blocking or proxy servers, and
certainly have no plans to change this.

Regards

Steve
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

Old February 2nd 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

================================================= ====================
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:
================================================= ====================

I used to be a customer of Ace Internet - You used to host a couple of my
domains a few years ago. But you seemed to disappear off the face of the
earth and just stopped answering the phone and I almost lost my domains cos
you buggered up the renewals. Fortunately, I managed to get 123-Reg to save
the day for me...so you can perhaps understand my caution at the
possibility of dealing with you guys again.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

wrote:

"No bandwidth cap"

Hi John

We also offer a no caps service, with no port blocking or proxy servers, and
certainly have no plans to change this.

Regards

Steve
================================================= ====================
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:
================================================= ====================

Whoa..also just noted from your web site that your home 1000 service is 35
+ VAT = 41.13 per month!!

Old February 2nd 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"JC" johncalias-newsgroupsATyahooD0TcoD0Tuk wrote in message
Hi,

Due to the imminent Plusnet cap, I have been looking at other BB ISP
sites.

I found this on the Zen site description of their home 1Mb service.

"No bandwidth cap
Unlike ADSL accounts from some other ISPs, Zen places no limits on the
amount of data you can transfer in a month. You are only restricted by the
speed of your line and the limits of your imagination as to what to
download."

Now, my question is, given BT's new charging structure, will Zen continue
to be able to offer this unlimited service...or are they likely to go the
way of Plusnet in the near future?

Its really like asking how long is a piece of string. I would imagine more
companies will go the capping route eventually, just depends on how much
they want to cap.
If they do change to a cap in the terms and conditions, you have a right to
decline the new terms, but getting them to cancel your account based on
denial of terms can be more tricky. I am not singling out Zen for criticism
on this as I don't know much about them, I am just talking generally of isps
that very often it can be difficult to get out of a contract when its the
terms change involved.

Old February 2nd 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:06:32 +0000, JC
johncalias-newsgroupsATyahooD0TcoD0Tuk wrote:

Hi,

Due to the imminent Plusnet cap, I have been looking at other BB ISP sites.

I found this on the Zen site description of their home 1Mb service.

"No bandwidth cap
Unlike ADSL accounts from some other ISPs, Zen places no limits on the
amount of data you can transfer in a month. You are only restricted by the
speed of your line and the limits of your imagination as to what to
download."

Now, my question is, given BT's new charging structure, will Zen continue
to be able to offer this unlimited service...or are they likely to go the
way of Plusnet in the near future?

Who knows?

Personally, I don't believe they will be able to maintain it for all
that long.

But the ADSL market is still so fluid that it isn't impossible pricing
models will change again before they absolutely have to do anything
about it.

IF all ISPs do have to go onto the new schemes, then they are
extremely unlikely to be able to continue to offer an unlimited
service for long without putting prices up significantly.
Old February 3rd 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Alex Heney wrote:

IF all ISPs do have to go onto the new schemes, then they are
extremely unlikely to be able to continue to offer an unlimited
service for long without putting prices up significantly.

Or end up with the 'lite' style packages running up to 50GB and beyond.
So:
25 for 50GB/m
50 for 512kb unlimited (ie a 150GB/m cap imposed by the 512k linespeed).

Bill