Linking 2 PCs, will Bluetooth do it? or what else?

Old February 2nd 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gazzer

Default Linking 2 PCs, will Bluetooth do it? or what else?

If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop can
I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the complete
kit I would need and any model suggestions?

thanks
Old February 2nd 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:27:16 GMT, Gazzer uttered forth the
following...
If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop can
I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the complete
kit I would need and any model suggestions?

Don't use Bluetooth... expensive compared to WIFI and no where near as
good.

Buy a WIFI card for PC & laptop each... and then a wi-fi router.
Old February 2nd 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gazzer

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:39:54 -0000, Sean wrote:

On the Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:27:16 GMT, Gazzer uttered forth the
following...
If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop can
I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the complete
kit I would need and any model suggestions?

Don't use Bluetooth... expensive compared to WIFI and no where near as
good.

How so? Argos are showing the dongles at ?19.99 each

Buy a WIFI card for PC & laptop each... and then a wi-fi router.

Sounds expensive?

Thnx
Old February 2nd 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Gazzer" wrote in message
If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop can
I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the complete
kit I would need and any model suggestions?

if both pc's have ethernet ports in, use a x-over cat5 cable and network
them that way, Bluetooth is way too slow for file transfers, and a bit of
cable will set you back about a fiver ;-)

P.

Old February 2nd 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gazzer

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:16:01 -0000, "PJB" wrote:

"Gazzer" wrote in message
If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop can
I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the complete
kit I would need and any model suggestions?

if both pc's have ethernet ports in, use a x-over cat5 cable and network
them that way, Bluetooth is way too slow for file transfers, and a bit of
cable will set you back about a fiver ;-)

Thanks, I think Bluetooth is out then for sure.

Laptop has an ethernet port but not the PC.
Old February 2nd 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Gazzer" wrote in message
If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop
can I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the
complete kit I would need and any model suggestions?

if both pc's have ethernet ports in, use a x-over cat5 cable and
network them that way, Bluetooth is way too slow for file
transfers, and a bit of cable will set you back about a fiver ;-)

Thanks, I think Bluetooth is out then for sure.

Laptop has an ethernet port but not the PC.

Ethernet cards are dirt cheap nowadays, you can even get USB to Ethernet
adaptors if you're too scared (or lazy..!) to open up the case.

Ivor

Old February 2nd 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gazzer

"Gazzer" wrote in message
If I connect a Bluetooth dongle to my PC and another to my laptop
can I transfer files etc wirefree? Like backup a drive etc.

2nd question. I want a straightforward, simpletons method of
connecting the said PCs to Broadband wirefree, what is the
complete kit I would need and any model suggestions?

if both pc's have ethernet ports in, use a x-over cat5 cable and
network them that way, Bluetooth is way too slow for file
transfers, and a bit of cable will set you back about a fiver ;-)

Thanks, I think Bluetooth is out then for sure.

Laptop has an ethernet port but not the PC.

Ethernet cards are dirt cheap nowadays, you can even get USB to Ethernet
adaptors if you're too scared (or lazy..!) to open up the case.

I heard there were things in there that a man ought not see?
Old February 2nd 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 02/02/2005 Gazzer wrote:

Ethernet cards are dirt cheap nowadays, you can even get USB to
Ethernet adaptors if you're too scared (or lazy..!) to open up the
case.

I heard there were things in there that a man ought not see?

I think that only applies to Mac man :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2