first time adsl questions

Old February 2nd 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Archer

Default first time adsl questions

Hi all,
We're looking to get ADSL and I've got a few questions I'd like some
pointers on. I don't expect will download that much so any of the 512MB
under 20 a month capped deals will do us for starters.

I was considering Metronet. Amongst their connection services it states
extra 60 odd for moving the master BT socket.

How do I tell which one is the master phone socket?
Do all the ISPs charge about the same for moving this?

We're in a village that must be about 5 miles or more from the Exchange.
Initially, I'm considering a cheap USB ADSL modem. Will this be OK if we're
that far from exchange?

Thanks
Nigel

Old February 2nd 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

www.adslguide.org.uk answers this and a whole lot more.

--

Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

Old February 2nd 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:09 +0000, Nigel Archer wrote:

Hi all,
We're looking to get ADSL and I've got a few questions I'd like some
pointers on. I don't expect will download that much so any of the 512MB
under 20 a month capped deals will do us for starters.

I was considering Metronet. Amongst their connection services it states
extra 60 odd for moving the master BT socket.

How do I tell which one is the master phone socket? Do all the ISPs charge
about the same for moving this?

We're in a village that must be about 5 miles or more from the Exchange.
Initially, I'm considering a cheap USB ADSL modem. Will this be OK if
we're that far from exchange?

Thanks
Nigel

I have been with Metronet for over 13 months now and found them excellent.
Don't understand why you need to move the BT master socket. I would spend
a bit more and get a ethernet ADSL modem/router, forget USB modems. Google
on USB modems in this group and you will see why.
Ah, just had a look on Metronets web site, the 60 is the connection
charge that BT levy on ISP's because they have to connect your phone line
in the exchange to the ADSL equipment. You pay this with virtually all
ISP's either up front or via a bit on the monthly charge ( same as mobile
phones), theres nothing to do at your end.
AS the other post states adslguide is a mine of info.
HTH
Dave

again
in the future!!
Old February 3rd 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
M Joyce

Just one thing as well, if you plan to get you master moved make sure it is
done by BT, it is illegal to allow any1 other than BT to move or replace
their master socket (the wiring behind is BT property and counts as the
exchange line) however they may be planning to wire another master and not
use BT's though, that is possible but I personally would advise you to
accept Dave's advice.

news

Old February 3rd 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:30:09 -0000, "Nigel Archer"
wrote:

I was considering Metronet. Amongst their connection services it states
extra 60 odd for moving the master BT socket.

MFOR. Just get a phone extension cable, if needed.

How do I tell which one is the master phone socket?

Its the one that the BT cable connects to from outside your house :-)
More usefully, if your phone circuits are relatively modern, it may
well have a removable lower half of the faceplate, behind which your
own phone extensions can be wired in.

Do all the ISPs charge about the same for moving this?

I didn't know they were /allowed/ to move it. Probably they simply
book BT to come in and do it for you. How much would BT charge?

We're in a village that must be about 5 miles or more from the Exchange.
Initially, I'm considering a cheap USB ADSL modem. Will this be OK if we're
that far from exchange?

If your line works, then which modem you use should make little
difference. I'd try to avoid usb if you can tho.
Old February 4th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

wrote:

I was considering Metronet. Amongst their connection services it states
extra 60 odd for moving the master BT socket.

MFOR.

Whoosh....straight over my head

How do I tell which one is the master phone socket?

Its the one that the BT cable connects to from outside your house :-)
More usefully, if your phone circuits are relatively modern, it may
well have a removable lower half of the faceplate, behind which your
own phone extensions can be wired in.

My line was installed last week and the engineer fitted this for me in
place of the existing faceplate. For more information, this allows you
to remove the lower half without disturbing anything and plug your
phone/router/modem etc in without the extensions getting in the way
(useful for troubleshooting).