DIY Broadband ISP Project

Old February 2nd 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SMK - Newsgroup

Default DIY Broadband ISP Project

DIY Broadband ISP Project

I am interested in what it would take to set up a low budget ISP service
within the following 'outline parameters'. Would anyone like to comment on
the feasibility of the project or the equipment required, whilst also having
a stab at the approximate costs.

If anyone has already attempted to do this (or knows of any papers on the
subject) then I would be interested to hear from them.

I also outline a very simplistic method of setting up such a system, would
any one like to comment on the issues involved e.g. legal, technical and
practical.

Note: I am using the word broadband to indicate general DSL technology.

Outline Parameters:

1.. Set up a broadband ISP to serve between 1000 and 10,000 people.
2.. The system should be easily scaleable to increase the number of users.
3.. Provide a basic service in order to keep the costs to a minimum.
4.. Run the ISP from a low budget premises such as a house, garage or
factory unit.
5.. Keep the costs down but provide a high quality reliable service.
6.. Any equipment should ideally be 'off the shelf' and easily
maintainable.
7.. Any technology used should be tried and tested.

Simplistic Method:

1.. Find premises for the ISP (e.g. my house) and set up a 'server' or
equipment (as yet unspecified) to handle the management of the user
connections, passwords, account handling etc.
2.. Connect the 'server' to the broadband backbone via the telecoms
supplier (e.g. BT). People may like to comment on the practicalities /
technicalities of this arrangement.
3.. Get the users to have their telephone lines 'activated' to handle
broadband by their telecoms supplier, just as you would to connect to any
other BB supplier.
4.. The user should now be able to connect to the ISP service via the
telecoms supplier who in turn provides the connection to the broadband
backbone and the wider WWW.

I look forward to your comments,

Simon

Old February 2nd 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Simon is this a serious request ?

The investment an ISP needs to make is high reliability means
redundant kit/routings etc etc.

Also the ISP's link need to be far greator than broadband otherwise as
soon as one of your 'users' starts to download the bandwidth fills and
no one else can.

Sorry mate but your not going to make your fortune here.

Old February 2nd 05, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

SMK - Newsgroup wrote:

DIY Broadband ISP Project

I am interested in what it would take to set up a low budget ISP service
within the following 'outline parameters'. Would anyone like to comment on
the feasibility of the project or the equipment required, whilst also
having a stab at the approximate costs.

If anyone has already attempted to do this (or knows of any papers on the
subject) then I would be interested to hear from them.

Some guy over in uk.comp.os.linux has tried all this for
starting outlay of something like 17,000 quid.
(you can google the newsgroups to track down the posts).

Old February 2nd 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

DIY Broadband ISP Project

I am interested in what it would take to set up a low budget ISP service
within the following 'outline parameters'. Would anyone like to comment on
the feasibility of the project or the equipment required, whilst also having
a stab at the approximate costs.

I suggest you look at the prices here
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Wholesale_Broadband_Services.boo/sectoc.htm

Then forget it.
Old February 2nd 05, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

SNIP
Simplistic Method:

Or even simpler

Sign up with an existing suppiers white lable product and see how good a
sales man you are.... Having the kit means diddly squat, Its the selling of
the product that is important.

Ian

Old February 3rd 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SMK - Newsgroup

Yes, I am serious about the questions that I asked.

I am not really interested in setting up a 'for profit' organisation, I was
thinking more about getting together a group of like minded people together
to fund and set up such a system.

Without the constraints placed upon a larger corporation or business a small
group may be able to produce an elegant solution which is piggybacked on the
current available technology.

Can it be done, and if so what is required?

Simon

Old February 3rd 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:49:57 -0000, "SMK - Newsgroup"
wrote:

Can it be done, and if so what is required?

Yes it can be done, but it isn't cheap to setup.

At the very least you need a BT Central pipe and some Internet
connectivity.

You need the BT Central pipe to connect you to BT's network and the
Internet connectivity to connect your users to the Internet. You can
either have you BT Central line connected at an Internet hub like
Telehouse and get your Internet connectivity there, or have the
Central line connect to your premises and have a leased line to
provide the Internet connectivity (though the former is clearly
preferable).

Someone already posted a link to the BT price list:

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c...boo/sectoc.htm

In particular the BT Central prices are he

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c...boo/123786.htm

It costs at least 3000 quid to install the a BT Central and at least
9000 quid a year to rent a 2Mbit one.

You need to add to that the costs of Internet connectivity and if you
are hosting it at an Internet hub, rackspace. You also need assorted
bits of hardware. This all adds up to tens of thousands of pounds
more.

Of course a 2Mbit BT Central line means you can only really host a
couple of hundred users at most (if you used the same 50:1 contention
an a 512k line that BT state for "home" ADSL) and if you have more
than a handful of heavy users then things are going to get slow pretty
quickly. Quality ISPs aim for more like 10:1 contention on their BT
central pipes, meaning you could only have 40 or so 512k users.

I may have missed out some obvious big costs, I've never set up an
ADSL ISP before
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old February 3rd 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

Yes, I am serious about the questions that I asked.

I am not really interested in setting up a 'for profit' organisation, I was
thinking more about getting together a group of like minded people together
to fund and set up such a system.

Without the constraints placed upon a larger corporation or business a small
group may be able to produce an elegant solution which is piggybacked on the
current available technology.

Can it be done, and if so what is required?

NO.

It cannot be done practically.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If it glows don't touch it!

Old February 3rd 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

wrote:

[...]

You can get set up for very little outlay, contrary to most posts
here.

You don't have to invest in equipment or expertise either.

Give me a shout on . Remove mungbeans to
reply and we can discuss it separately. I won't be able to get back
to you until Tuesday though cos I'm off for a long weekend.

Jake

Old February 4th 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 2 Feb 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "SMK - Newsgroup" wrote:

1.. Find premises for the ISP (e.g. my house) and set up a 'server' or
equipment (as yet unspecified) to handle the management of the user
connections, passwords, account handling etc.

I wouldn't trust that kit to a home or garage or anything where the
connection to the 'outside world' is dependent on some link to your
local exchange. Putting these servers in somewhere like Telehouse
(or wherever - high quality hosting - either using your servers or
renting from some other ISP if necessary) would give rather better
speed (not relying on low speed link) and stable conditions (power,
etc)... Next part is how you'd handle 'extras' such as providing a
news server, mail, web hosting, for your customers... unless you're
ready to set up as a reseller of some 'off the shelf' service with
a lot less up-front setup costs/knowledge needed. Good luck ! PGM.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $4.95)
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75