Gigabit ADSL router

Old February 2nd 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Default Gigabit ADSL router

Hi,

Do these exist? I'm using my ADSL router as a hub for transferring large
amounts of data on an internal LAN. All the machines on this LAN have
10/100/1000 cards in them. I'm wondering if there are any gigabit adsl
routers so that I can take advantage of the increase in speed.

Would I notice a difference?

From my robocopy log, I have currently managing 53Mbit transfers
locally with my 10/100 router which is pretty good, but I'm wondering
how fast a gigabit router would go, and actually whether my disks would
keep up with the router speed.

Thanks,
Mark.

Robocopy log

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras
Dirs : 569 569 0 0 0 0
Files : 4184 4184 0 0 0 0
Times : 0:54:45 0:54:38 0:00:00 0:00:06

Speed : 6658209 Bytes/sec.
Speed : 380.985 MegaBytes/min.
Old February 2nd 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Mark Allison wrote:

Hi,

Do these exist? I'm using my ADSL router as a hub for transferring large

Why bother - just get gigabit switch which is about 50 quid
and plug the adsl router onto one of the ports.
You won't notice any speed difference with adsl, but
your lan will fly.
Old February 2nd 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

7 wrote:
Why bother - just get gigabit switch which is about 50 quid
and plug the adsl router onto one of the ports.
You won't notice any speed difference with adsl, but
your lan will fly.

Well, that's more clutter - my desk is full of stuff already - plus it
would take up more power. My power sockets are already overloaded.
Old February 3rd 05, 02:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:46:10 +0000, Mark Allison
strung together this:

Why bother - just get gigabit switch which is about 50 quid
and plug the adsl router onto one of the ports.
You won't notice any speed difference with adsl, but
your lan will fly.

Well, that's more clutter -

Not really, a switch and a router are hardly clutter. I've got more
than that sat under my desk for one PC.

my desk is full of stuff already

Then don't put them on your desk, stick them under it, or behind it,
or somewhere else. All my switches, routers, firewalls and some
servers are in the garage.

plus it
would take up more power. My power sockets are already overloaded.

Well, I doubt you'll overload anything with an extra switch. I've had
multiples of servers, switches, UPS's, routers and telephone systems
all hanging off of one 13A supply with no problems.
--

SJW
Old February 3rd 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

I'd prefer a gigabit router as in my original message.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old February 3rd 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Mark Allison" wrote in message

I'd prefer a gigabit router as in my original message.

Then that would suggest you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Morrison

Mark Allison wrote:
I'd prefer a gigabit router as in my original message.

Ask Google then, but I'm not certain you'll find one though.

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
Old February 3rd 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi,

Do these exist? I'm using my ADSL router as a hub for transferring large
amounts of data on an internal LAN. All the machines on this LAN have
10/100/1000 cards in them. I'm wondering if there are any gigabit adsl
routers so that I can take advantage of the increase in speed.

Would I notice a difference?

From my robocopy log, I have currently managing 53Mbit transfers
locally with my 10/100 router which is pretty good, but I'm wondering
how fast a gigabit router would go, and actually whether my disks would
keep up with the router speed.

Thanks,
Mark.

Assuming your disks are standard IDE/SATA, you probably won't notice much of
a difference. SATA might be rated as 150Mb/sec but the disks cannot sustain
transfers at this speed and its certainly nowhere near 1000Mb/s

Old February 3rd 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
phantom wrote:
Assuming your disks are standard IDE/SATA, you probably won't notice much of
a difference. SATA might be rated as 150Mb/sec but the disks cannot sustain
transfers at this speed and its certainly nowhere near 1000Mb/s

But if you've got a fast machine and a lot of disk configured
appropriately (eg 4 x SATA 7200rpm in a stripe, or if rolling in cash
15krpm SCSI disk) you can get blistering disk performance. The next
question is whether the gigabit ethernet controller can really manage
1Gbps on a standard 32-bit PCI bus.

Routers with gigabit connections are available, but probably only in
datacentre-class kit, at least at the moment, eg a midrange Cisco router
with ADSL and GBE cards.

Zane,
Old February 3rd 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Gibson

"phantom" wrote in message
k...
"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi,

Do these exist? I'm using my ADSL router as a hub for transferring large
amounts of data on an internal LAN. All the machines on this LAN have
10/100/1000 cards in them. I'm wondering if there are any gigabit adsl
routers so that I can take advantage of the increase in speed.

Would I notice a difference?

From my robocopy log, I have currently managing 53Mbit transfers
locally with my 10/100 router which is pretty good, but I'm wondering
how fast a gigabit router would go, and actually whether my disks would
keep up with the router speed.

Thanks,
Mark.

Assuming your disks are standard IDE/SATA, you probably won't notice much
of
a difference. SATA might be rated as 150Mb/sec but the disks cannot
sustain
transfers at this speed and its certainly nowhere near 1000Mb/s

WTF?? SATA is rated at 150MB/s which is 1500Mb/s over the serial lead,
although as pointed out elsewhere this will be the peak rate and could only
be sustained in certain instances with a large disk cache.

You would be lucky to get over 700Mb/s of data over Gbit ethernet due to
overhead, and anyway that would drop like a stone if there were contention
on the spur.

Dave