Which is the cheapest??

Old February 3rd 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Default Which is the cheapest??

Hi,

I am looking for the cheapest broadband provider.

I need at least 512K ( Faster the better my line will go up to 2 Mb). Don't
necessarily need uncapped- maybe 1 or 2 GB.
A 6 month or monthly contract as I am moving to Austria in August.

I don't have a modem or anything and I would have to pay the connection
charge. I just want the cheapest one.
Virgin at £17.99 looks good since no connection charge .

I was looking at this cheap modem:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...ubcat_uid=1147

Would that be fine??
Any one knows a better one.

Thanks.

Nigel

Old February 4th 05, 03:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Nigel" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for the cheapest broadband provider.

snip..........
that would be EFH

Old February 4th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

I was looking at this cheap modem:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...ubcat_uid=1147

Would that be fine??
Any one knows a better one.

Thanks.

Nigel

Most vendors give you a USB modem for free.

Paul DS.

Old February 4th 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zardoz

I was looking at this cheap modem:-

No idea. But you can get people's surplus USB modems off ebay for
around a £5

I'm with Virgin (unmetered) and the service is fine - they need 1
month notice of cancellation.

Old February 4th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Walter

"Nigel" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for the cheapest broadband provider.

I need at least 512K ( Faster the better my line will go up to 2

Mb). Don't
necessarily need uncapped- maybe 1 or 2 GB.
A 6 month or monthly contract as I am moving to Austria in

August.

I don't have a modem or anything and I would have to pay the

connection
charge. I just want the cheapest one.
Virgin at £17.99 looks good since no connection charge .

You could consider Metronet (http://www.metronet.co.uk)
This is a "bare bones" service (i.e. no email and no web space
included), starting at £10 per month (+VAT) for a 512 KB connection,
with charges rising after 200 MB of traffic to a maximum of about
£22 per month when you have more than about 4.7 GB. Minimum
contract duration is 3 months and IIRC they want about 2 weeks'
notice to leave them. You also pay the (one-off) connection fee of
about £58. I haven't signed up yet, but I probably will in the next
few days.

HTH

Oliver

Old February 4th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 4 Feb 2005, "Paul D.Smith" wrote:

I was looking at this cheap modem:-
Any one knows a better one.

If you look for item 48448 (SAMR-4110) you will find a similar
cost unit (as long as you are in time for free shipping on it, a
day extra, unless they upgrade the delivery, as they did mine!),
which is an ethernet router, usable without USB drivers (most of
the PCs around will have a 10/100 ethernet connection or a cheap
PCI card can be bought for under a tenner) and will stay online,
and offer you some additional protection from hackers on the net
(it has a firewall, but there is no need to run that if you have
one running on each PC... would also allow multiple PCs later on
with just a cheap hub). I'd always recommend avoiding USB, with
the exception of someone unable to open up a PC from warranty or
similar reasons... Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $4.95)
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old February 5th 05, 02:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

that would be EFH

NOT with £82.24 activation fee and no email !

I would suggest Madasfish with no activation fee, two months free, free
modem,
and I think just 3 months contract.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 5th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TP

You could consider Metronet (http://www.metronet.co.uk)
snip
I haven't signed up yet, but I probably will in the next
few days.

I've had them for a couple of weeks - still very happy with it! Peak speeds
around 486 kbps where I am. ADSLGuide's speed checker just measured 455 now.
Haven't had BB previously so can't really compare, but as I say.. good so
far!

Old February 8th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:19:50 +0000, Alex Boosbeck
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:40:20 +0000, poster
wrote:

I'd always recommend avoiding USB

why?

In terms of modems, which is the subject of this thread, USB requires
drivers to be installed and loads the CPU. With a 750 Duron, the
SAMR4110 appears to be faster than a BT voyager 105 - it's definitely
more reliable in my experience.

Slightly off topic - I have a (currently) unusable USB analogue modem,
because it is impossible to set up a "virtual" serial port to use, now
that my motherboard won't support ISA (previously, the ISA modem
created the ports which the USB modem used!), so I'm cursed with a PCI
"softmodem".
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.