Confused by Broadband speed

Old February 4th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DavidS

Default Confused by Broadband speed

Hi,
I am using Tiscali Broadband at 256kbps which I am very pleased with.
The small icon on the right hand side of my screen states the speed to
be 589.8 kbps
If I do a Bandwidth test it states 149.3 kbps.

Is there something wrong or am I just being dim? Do these figures
seem OK?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
David

Old February 4th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgoth

"DavidS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I am using Tiscali Broadband at 256kbps which I am very pleased with.
The small icon on the right hand side of my screen states the speed to
be 589.8 kbps
If I do a Bandwidth test it states 149.3 kbps.

Is there something wrong or am I just being dim? Do these figures
seem OK?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
David

The line is connecting at 612kb but is capped at 256kb

Old February 5th 05, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"MagicUK" wrote in message
and your only getting 150k of that 256k

Which is not much faster than a couple of ISDN2 channels bonded together.

Real broadband starts at 512K from around 17 a month