internet optimisation

Old February 4th 05, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Walker

Default internet optimisation

I've seen a few 'Internet optimizer' utilities. Many of them ask about
my 'Internet connection'. Now, I've got several choices depending on
the type and speed on my connection.

Obviously I disregard any modem or DSL connection speeds not matching
my own but as I'm using a NAT router, do I pick a LAN connection or my
speed DSL connection?

---
Dale Walker
London Techno Events
[email protected],org
http://london.sorted.org
Old February 4th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Optimising the internet. Now there's a thought!

Seriously, the only one I've come across is the TcpWindowSize tweak to
Windows NT. Basically ADSL is a "long, fat pipe". It has relatively high
speed but the remote end is a long way away. Since TCP is reliable, it will
get to a point where it waits for the remote end to say "got that bit of
data" before sending any more. If the other end does't say "got it" then
TCP resends until the other end speaks up or TCP gives up and indicates a
connection error.

Now if the remote end is a way away, this limit is hit quickly (round trip
time for your frames to reach the far end and for it to respond back) so
your machine sits there waiting for a response when it could be sending
data. Increasing TcpWindowSize says "it's OK, send more before you wait".
Most of the time, this improves performance. Of course if something goes
wrong then TCP has to retransmit more data - it's a trade-off.

Now Windows 2000 and XP apparently learn the appropriate TcpWindowSize
better than Windows NT so this tweak is not required (I believe).

Apart from that, I don't believe that "Internet Optimisation" is the silver
bullet that some companies claim it is.

Paul DS.