Zone Alarm, PcCillin or Norton internet security?

Old February 4th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anonymous

Default Zone Alarm, PcCillin or Norton internet security?

Hi

I've got a PC hardwired and a Laptop wirelessed off a Belkin F5D7630-4A
wireless router (with WEP 128 bit encryption).
Os is XP with SP2.
Mainly use Firefox 1.0 but IE if necessary.

I currently run Norton Internet Security 2004 on both machines but the
update period is about to expire.

I want security I can run on both machines.
I don't mind paying a bit.
Don't want something I've got to remember to update and I need a degree in
computer science to operate.
I want something that updates semi or completely automatically
Broadband is connected quite a lot
I don't do gaming but do do a little peer to peer.

Zone alarm and Trend PC-cillin seem to be getting good reviews at present.

Anyone got any ideas or know where I can find unbiased reviews?
Can I install on both machines without paying for a second licence?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

(Also have AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy and the new MS Anti Spyware
(which hasn't found anything the others haven't))

Please reply to group.

Thanks

Old February 4th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

"Anonymous" x-directory wrote:

[...]

You want privoxy http://www.privoxy.org
which is open source and filtering proxy server. It kills dangerous HTML
from entering your PC. It can also avoids downloading unwanted ads.
You can also switch to firefox browser and thunderbird email
which are both open source and free and a lot more safer than explorer.
http://www.mozilla.org
Or you can download a whole lot more open source software from
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/
and use those wherever you don't have problems switching.

Please reply to group.

Thanks

Old February 4th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Anonymous" x-directory wrote in message

I want security I can run on both machines.
Anyone got any ideas or know where I can find unbiased reviews?

f-Secure has been doing well in the reviews. Forget where I saw it but prob.
PC Pro. Failing this ZA.

(Also have AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy and the new MS Anti Spyware
(which hasn't found anything the others haven't))

I reckon AA and Spybot S&D are adequate unless you REALLY want to go
overboard :-)

Old February 4th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Friday 04 February 2005 18:33 7 wrote:

You can also switch to firefox browser and thunderbird email
which are both open source and free and a lot more safer than
explorer. http://www.mozilla.org

Be VERY wary of this advice!

I did that myself about 9 months ago, and switched to OpenOffice as
well.

After about 4 weeks (and the infestation of my wife's machine with
some exploit that caused hundreds of pop-ups to appear in her I.E.) I
bought SuSE 9.1 and installed it on all three of our computers.

The result was pretty grim:-

- no Norton AV to update, pay the renewal on, etc.

- no pretty "defrag disk" pictures to watch

- no pop-ups, no viruses

- no searches for spyware

- no Reg. cleanup tools

- no hangs, no crashes, no "do you want to restart your computer now?"

- no slow-down with age

- a feeling of no longer being "one of us", exacerbated by my wife,
who, whenever the subject arises in company says,
"Oh! VIRUSES? We don't DO them any more - we have Linux"!

I'm beginning to feel like an outcast.
There are compensations, though. I've shown several people the way to
Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice, and I am now starting to hear,
"Do you think that *I* could swap to Linux sometime?".

I tell you, take his advice at your own risk! Talk to Bill Gates and
Co. - if you do as 7 tells you, you might end up wearing Jesus
sandels and growing a beard (and that's only the women!) and being
called a communist!

On the other hand......

Bill