Browser opens on its own?

Old February 5th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Browser opens on its own?

Does anyone know how I can stop a browser window opening on its own.

Let me explain:
I log in to my account - up comes browser home page - I do my surfing - log
out so browser window closes - go away and have a cup of coffee - come back
to find a browser window has opened on its own. How can that happen?

Your advise would be well appreciated.
Cheers.

--
N.Groups: Take word SPAM out of email to reply

Old February 5th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Steve" wrote in message
Does anyone know how I can stop a browser window opening on its own.

Let me explain:
I log in to my account - up comes browser home page - I do my surfing -
log
out so browser window closes - go away and have a cup of coffee - come
back
to find a browser window has opened on its own. How can that happen?

Your advise would be well appreciated.
Cheers.

--
N.Groups: Take word SPAM out of email to reply

Probably some form of malware installed on your system.

Try "Spybot Search & Destroy" and see what it finds/removes.

Use the update function to get the latest detection signatures and use the
immunise option as well to help protect against future infections.

Stephen

Old February 5th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:50:37 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
wrote:

Does anyone know how I can stop a browser window opening on its own.

Let me explain:
I log in to my account - up comes browser home page - I do my surfing - log
out so browser window closes - go away and have a cup of coffee - come back
to find a browser window has opened on its own. How can that happen?

Your advise would be well appreciated.

Sounds like it could be spyware/malware related. Suggest running some
of the better anti spyware tools, starting with Spybot.

Alex

--
Alex Brown
blueyonder Product Manager
Old February 5th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Steve" wrote in message
Does anyone know how I can stop a browser window opening on its own.

Let me explain:
I log in to my account - up comes browser home page - I do my surfing -
log
out so browser window closes - go away and have a cup of coffee - come
back
to find a browser window has opened on its own. How can that happen?

Your advise would be well appreciated.
Cheers.

Same as the others said download and run spybot search and destroy. But
make sure when it finds DSO exploit, that you don't delete it as its a bug
in the software.
You could also try Lavasoft Adaware for spyware remover.

Old February 5th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Saturday 05 February 2005 10:50 Steve wrote:

Does anyone know how I can stop a browser window opening on its own.

Let me explain:
I log in to my account - up comes browser home page - I do my
surfing - log out so browser window closes - go away and have a cup
of coffee - come back to find a browser window has opened on its
own. How can that happen?

Your advise would be well appreciated.
Cheers.

Only ONE instance?
You are lucky!
Presumably you use I.E.? This sounds like one of the (in)famous
exploits.
Follow the advice you are getting on this thread, then for goodness
sake at least swap to Firefox!

Bill

Old February 5th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

B Gruff wrote:
On Saturday 05 February 2005 10:50 Steve wrote:

Does anyone know how I can stop a browser window opening on its
own.

Let me explain:
I log in to my account - up comes browser home page - I do my
surfing - log out so browser window closes - go away and have a cup
of coffee - come back to find a browser window has opened on its
own. How can that happen?

Your advise would be well appreciated.
Cheers.

Only ONE instance?
You are lucky!
Presumably you use I.E.? This sounds like one of the (in)famous
exploits.
Follow the advice you are getting on this thread, then for goodness
sake at least swap to Firefox!

Why are you blaming IE..? I've used IE in various versions for years and
I've never had this problem. Mind you I do check for spy/adware on a daily
basis.

Ivor

Old February 5th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

B Gruff wrote in news:36kahnF54ol4eU3
@individual.net:

Presumably you use I.E.? This sounds like one of the (in)famous
exploits.
Follow the advice you are getting on this thread, then for goodness
sake at least swap to Firefox!

I personally use Firefox and whilst it is good as a preventative measure,
switching now will do sweet FA if the malware is already on the machine
as it will still be able to launch IE.

Adaware/Spybot/HiJackThis is a good combination but bear in mind that
they only recognise what they know about. The only way to be safe is to
reinstall windows and lock it down before you put it near the net.

--
Colin
Old February 6th 05, 02:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Adaware/Spybot/HiJackThis is a good combination but bear in mind that
they only recognise what they know about.

HijackThis! lists all programs that run on startup, as well as the
kludges that have patched into IE. It will usually be your saviour when
either of the other two don't sort you out.

CoolWebSearch is in a class of its own, hence you should add CWShredder
to your list ;-)

Old February 6th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Colin Wilson wrote in
t:

HijackThis! lists all programs that run on startup, as well as the
kludges that have patched into IE. It will usually be your saviour when
either of the other two don't sort you out.

As long as you know how to use it..if you remove a browser hijack but not
the thing that is implementing the hijack then it will just come back.

CoolWebSearch is in a class of its own, hence you should add CWShredder
to your list ;-)

I have that on my pen drive too, but normally Adaware flags CWS so you
don't need to run the shredder unless it gets spotted. Lately Adaware
hasn't even been leaving any of CWS behind for the shredder to clean up
for me..

One very important note that has been missed so far is that all this
tools should be run in safe mode with system restore turned off otherwise
you might have to do it all over again.

--
Colin
Old February 6th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"cw" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote in
t:

HijackThis! lists all programs that run on startup, as well as the
kludges that have patched into IE. It will usually be your saviour when
either of the other two don't sort you out.

As long as you know how to use it..if you remove a browser hijack but not
the thing that is implementing the hijack then it will just come back.

CoolWebSearch is in a class of its own, hence you should add CWShredder
to your list ;-)

I have that on my pen drive too, but normally Adaware flags CWS so you
don't need to run the shredder unless it gets spotted. Lately Adaware
hasn't even been leaving any of CWS behind for the shredder to clean up
for me..

One very important note that has been missed so far is that all this
tools should be run in safe mode with system restore turned off otherwise
you might have to do it all over again.

Agreed - although even this isnt enough sometimes.

i recently cleared coolweb off a Windows ME machine - i ran adaware, CWS,
spybot and a few other tools either in normal or safe mode, and still it
would come back.

CW was running a windows config change on every startup, then leaving
whatever it put into the config running as a "rundll". I needed a special
process watch utility (process explorer from sysinternals.com) to even work
out which DLL file was doing this.

killing the process didnt help - it would come back to life. And ME was
protecting the files since they were effectively continually loaded.

I eventually booted the machine into DOS and got rid of the offending file
from there and clear up was simple.

--
Colin

Regards