Strange results from BT Braodband checker

Old February 5th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

Default Strange results from BT Braodband checker

Hi

With Plusnet announcing the reduction in price of 2mb broadband for Lite users I
thought I'd try the BT availability checker to see if I could get the 2mb service.

I'm currently enjoying a 1mb lite connection.

The BT availability checker says that "it is extremely UNlikely that I can get even a
256k or 512k service due to the length of my line" and that I will not be able to
have a 1mb service at all. Yet I've already got a 1 meg service that's been running
since last November, and I had a 512k service before that.

Obviously something is wrong here somewhere. Is the BT checker always this
inaccurate? I'm sure when I first signed up for BB the checker said that I could get
512k with no problems and possibly a 1 meg service. It may be related to the fact
that we had no dial tone for 2 days this week, (apparently a number of people in the
village were affected). Maybe when the engineer reconnected us, or whatever he did,
it has somehow changed the way our line is perceived by the auto checker?

--
The email address is made up.
Old February 5th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Stormsinger wrote:
Hi

With Plusnet announcing the reduction in price of 2mb broadband for Lite users I
thought I'd try the BT availability checker to see if I could get the 2mb service.

I'm currently enjoying a 1mb lite connection.

Does your router/modem report line loss statistics?
If you post these, we might be able to make better comment.
Old February 5th 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

Ian Stirling wrote:

Stormsinger wrote:
Hi

With Plusnet announcing the reduction in price of 2mb broadband for Lite users I
thought I'd try the BT availability checker to see if I could get the 2mb service.

I'm currently enjoying a 1mb lite connection.

Does your router/modem report line loss statistics?
If you post these, we might be able to make better comment.

Umm, sorry to be thick, but I'm not sure. I've got the Linksys WAG54G router. Can
somone advise me how to get this information from this router?

--
The email address is made up.
Old February 5th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Stormsinger wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Stormsinger wrote:
Hi

With Plusnet announcing the reduction in price of 2mb broadband for Lite users I
thought I'd try the BT availability checker to see if I could get the 2mb service.

I'm currently enjoying a 1mb lite connection.

Does your router/modem report line loss statistics?
If you post these, we might be able to make better comment.

Umm, sorry to be thick, but I'm not sure. I've got the Linksys WAG54G router. Can
somone advise me how to get this information from this router?

Look round the status pages http://192.168.1.2/ ? for anything looking
something like

Up Down
SNR Margin 12.9 26.0 dB
Line Attenuation 62.8 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 2659 83
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 3320 86
Data Rate 576 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Old February 5th 05, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

Ian Stirling wrote:

snip

Does your router/modem report line loss statistics?
If you post these, we might be able to make better comment.

Umm, sorry to be thick, but I'm not sure. I've got the Linksys WAG54G router. Can
somone advise me how to get this information from this router?

Look round the status pages http://192.168.1.2/ ? for anything looking
something like

Up Down
SNR Margin 12.9 26.0 dB
Line Attenuation 62.8 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 2659 83
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 3320 86
Data Rate 576 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Thanks for this, I see what you mean now, and my brain has kicked in

I've got

Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC

So it looks as if it doesn't report line conditions. I don't know whether a firmware
upgrade would add extra features, but as it is generally stable I'm wary about
changing things.

--
The email address is made up.

Old February 6th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Stormsinger wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

snip

Does your router/modem report line loss statistics?
If you post these, we might be able to make better comment.

Umm, sorry to be thick, but I'm not sure. I've got the Linksys WAG54G router. Can
somone advise me how to get this information from this router?

snip
Thanks for this, I see what you mean now, and my brain has kicked in

I've got

Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC

So it looks as if it doesn't report line conditions. I don't know whether a firmware
upgrade would add extra features, but as it is generally stable I'm wary about
changing things.

On my router at least, thereis another status page apart from that one.
YRMV.
Old February 9th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

In message , Alex Boosbeck
writes
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:30:15 +0000, Stormsinger
wrote:

The BT availability checker says that "it is extremely UNlikely that I
can get even a
256k or 512k service due to the length of my line" and that I will not
be able to
have a 1mb service at all. Yet I've already got a 1 meg service that's
been running
since last November, and I had a 512k service before that.

I think I read somewhere, that you will get this result, if you
do the test on a line that already has broadband enabled.

Al

The exchange test I would be OK for ADSL but neither my or the BT
enginner's modem synchronised. I was then told that Home Highway may be
OK so I ordered HH, an enginerers visit was booked and then cancelled by
BT who said that an exchange chesk indicated that it would not work
here.
Now Business Highway say they try harder so will re-investigate.
Is this the way to run a monopoly supplier who are the only means of
supplying a connection.
--
dd