BT ADSL SMTP mail relay

Old February 4th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Default BT ADSL SMTP mail relay

Hi,

We have a BT business broadband connection with static IP and our own
firewall. We use MS exchange as our mail server. We have recently found that
some SPAM blacklists blacklist ALL ADSL lines by default. We belive BT offer
an SMTP mail relay service to resolve this. Does anyone have any experiance
of this?

Andrew

Old February 5th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Morrison

Andrew wrote:
Hi,

We have a BT business broadband connection with static IP and our own
firewall. We use MS exchange as our mail server. We have recently found that
some SPAM blacklists blacklist ALL ADSL lines by default. We belive BT offer
an SMTP mail relay service to resolve this. Does anyone have any experiance
of this?

You may be better off ensuring that your IP address(es) resolve in
reverse (i.e. have PTR records in the DNS). If someone has taken the
trouble to ensure this then it is a fair bet that their machine is legit.

As for blocking mail from all machines within ADSL net blocks, well
again it may be the case that some DNSRBLs do that but anyone relying on
an ISP that implements that sort of blanket denial of mail service
deserves all that they get.

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
Old February 5th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:31:25 UTC, Brian Morrison
wrote:

Andrew wrote:
Hi,

We have a BT business broadband connection with static IP and our own
firewall. We use MS exchange as our mail server. We have recently found that
some SPAM blacklists blacklist ALL ADSL lines by default. We belive BT offer
an SMTP mail relay service to resolve this. Does anyone have any experiance
of this?

You may be better off ensuring that your IP address(es) resolve in
reverse (i.e. have PTR records in the DNS). If someone has taken the
trouble to ensure this then it is a fair bet that their machine is legit.

As for blocking mail from all machines within ADSL net blocks, well
again it may be the case that some DNSRBLs do that but anyone relying on
an ISP that implements that sort of blanket denial of mail service
deserves all that they get.

AOL block connections from all 'residential' ADSL blocks...company
policy!

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old February 5th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Morrison

wrote:

Andrew wrote:

[...]

Perhaps, but I am able to send mail to aol.com addresses even though I
use my own server and have both forward and reverse DNS for my IP
address. If they are trying to block me they are nto succeeding.

Of course, some ISPs block traffic from a lot of places, one or two in
the US accept no mail at all from Europe.

Old February 6th 05, 04:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Andrew wrote:
Hi,

We have a BT business broadband connection with static IP and our own
firewall. We use MS exchange as our mail server. We have recently found that
some SPAM blacklists blacklist ALL ADSL lines by default. We belive BT offer
an SMTP mail relay service to resolve this. Does anyone have any experiance
of this?

Andrew

Try setting your exchange server to relay via smtp.btconnect.com .

The following MS knowledgebase document might be useful in helping you
do this: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3052&ID=265293

hope this helps.