Novice question, hope you can help.

Old February 5th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mackem

Default Novice question, hope you can help.

My parents have a computer upstairs but only one phone line into the
house (downstairs). Therefore upstairs they have run a telephone
extension cable (about 10m) up to the room with the computer.

Trying to connect to broadband with a USB Speedtouch modem on Wannado,
they can't get a connection. It works when they plug the computer in
downstairs directly to the phone line. So therefore I'm guessing it's
the extension to blame?

Anyway, the question is: Could the modem be connected to a wireless
router downstairs (independent of a computer) and then sent to the
computer upstairs? If so, what equipment would they need.
Old February 5th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Mackem wrote:

My parents have a computer upstairs but only one phone line into the
house (downstairs). Therefore upstairs they have run a telephone
extension cable (about 10m) up to the room with the computer.

Trying to connect to broadband with a USB Speedtouch modem on Wannado,
they can't get a connection. It works when they plug the computer in
downstairs directly to the phone line. So therefore I'm guessing it's
the extension to blame?

Hardly possible. It might be mis-wired - or you are doing something
different between upstairs and downstairs; and that difference
is causing the problem.

Anyway, the question is: Could the modem be connected to a wireless
router downstairs (independent of a computer) and then sent to the
computer upstairs? If so, what equipment would they need.

Tricky because you probably have the USB version of speedtouch.

If you buy a new ADSL router with WiFI and ethernet, then
your PCs can connect either by ethernet cable or via WiFI
to cards installed in your PCs to the WiFi router, and then
the WiFI router will connect you into internet.

Old February 5th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Mackem wrote:

My parents have a computer upstairs but only one phone line into the
house (downstairs). Therefore upstairs they have run a telephone
extension cable (about 10m) up to the room with the computer.

Trying to connect to broadband with a USB Speedtouch modem on Wannado,
they can't get a connection. It works when they plug the computer in
downstairs directly to the phone line. So therefore I'm guessing it's
the extension to blame?

Anyway, the question is: Could the modem be connected to a wireless
router downstairs (independent of a computer) and then sent to the
computer upstairs? If so, what equipment would they need.

Assuming your filtering is OK, then yes the extension wiring is naff.
however it may be worth checking the filtering first to make sure that
they have not gone and filtered the whole upstairs extension against BB.
You also could fix the extension with a decent bit of twisted pair cable
as opposed to the nasty flat stuff. Otherwise wireless should work if
there is power there and they/you secure it OK. The other option is a
long network lead with a wired router downstairs.

Bill

Old February 5th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve P

When you say a "10m extension cable" do you mean a flexible cord type
extension or a proper wired in extension? If its the 1st then you might do
better buying a proper extension kit from somewhere like B+Q for about 5 to
10

om...

Old February 5th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Mackem wrote:
My parents have a computer upstairs but only one phone line into the
house (downstairs). Therefore upstairs they have run a telephone
extension cable (about 10m) up to the room with the computer.

Trying to connect to broadband with a USB Speedtouch modem on Wannado,
they can't get a connection. It works when they plug the computer in
downstairs directly to the phone line. So therefore I'm guessing it's
the extension to blame?

Anyway, the question is: Could the modem be connected to a wireless
router downstairs (independent of a computer) and then sent to the
computer upstairs? If so, what equipment would they need.

My assumptions, ignore if they are wrong:

You have a filter fitted downstairs with the upstairs extension connected to
the telephone socket of the filter?

If that is what you have do the following:

If the only 'phone connection to the downstairs socket is the telephone
extension wire, remove the filter, plug the extension wire directly into the
socket. Plug the filter into the socket at the end of the extension wire
(upstairs). Plug the ADSL modem into the modem socket of the filter and the
telephone into the telephone socket of the filter.

If you also have a 'phone connected to the downstairs socket you will need
an adaptor (plugs into the telephone socket and provides two telephone
sockets). Plug the extension wire into one of those telephone sockets.
Plug a filter into the other telephone socket and the downstairs
telephone(s) into the telephone socket on the filter.

To be slightly more technical, the ADSL modem *must* connect directly to the
'phone line (the modem socket on the filter is straight through - not
filtered) but all telephones *must* be filtered (the telephone socket on the
filter is filtered).

HTH

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old February 5th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Steve P
writes
When you say a "10m extension cable" do you mean a flexible cord type
extension or a proper wired in extension? If its the 1st then you might do
better buying a proper extension kit from somewhere like B+Q for about 5 to
10

"Mackem" wrote in message
. com...
My parents have a computer upstairs but only one phone line into the
house (downstairs). Therefore upstairs they have run a telephone
extension cable (about 10m) up to the room with the computer.

Trying to connect to broadband with a USB Speedtouch modem on Wannado,
they can't get a connection. It works when they plug the computer in
downstairs directly to the phone line. So therefore I'm guessing it's
the extension to blame?

Anyway, the question is: Could the modem be connected to a wireless
router downstairs (independent of a computer) and then sent to the
computer upstairs? If so, what equipment would they need.

I had a similar situation to which you refer

You need the following "wires and connectors "
1 - properly wired extension cable from B&Q as suggested above
1-double adapter from B&Q
2 -filter splitters supplied with your Wanadoo modem kit

You need to
(a ) insert the Double Adapter into the master socket downstairs
(b) insert a filter/splitter into the downstairs double adapter and the
telephone into the appropriately marked socket
(c) insert the extension cable into the vacant position on the double
adapter
(d) upstairs insert a filter/splitter into extension cable socket and
your modem
into the ADSL socket you can if you wish connect an upstairs phone into
the filter splitter which is marked "phone"
It is essential that this simple "positioning" of the filters is used to
ensure that the ADSL signal is only passing through the high frequency
section of one Filter/Splitter and each of the phones is filtered
Hope this helps
Ronald Jones
Old February 6th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks to everyone that has helped with that request. Will try advice
today.

N.