Integrated Modem/Router and Cable Modem Compatibility

Old February 5th 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Default Integrated Modem/Router and Cable Modem Compatibility

Looking to purchase a wireless router/access point. Currently using a
standard DSL modem over my BT line and am considering the Netgear
DG834G - integrated modem + router + switch. If at some future date I
switch to a cable based ISP e.g. Telewest, could I still use the
integrated device and plug the RJ45 from the cable modem straight into
the router or will I have to invest in a device without the
integrated modem?

An integrated device is most cost effective for me at the moment as my
existing modem is usb and most of the wireless routers (without
integrated modem) I've looked at require an RJ45 modem connection and
I don't really want to buy a new modem to go with just to retain
compatibiity with a future cable modem.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.
Old February 6th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Ed" wrote in message
om...
Looking to purchase a wireless router/access point. Currently using a
standard DSL modem over my BT line and am considering the Netgear
DG834G - integrated modem + router + switch. If at some future date I
switch to a cable based ISP e.g. Telewest, could I still use the
integrated device and plug the RJ45 from the cable modem straight into
the router or will I have to invest in a device without the
integrated modem?

An integrated device is most cost effective for me at the moment as my
existing modem is usb and most of the wireless routers (without
integrated modem) I've looked at require an RJ45 modem connection and
I don't really want to buy a new modem to go with just to retain
compatibiity with a future cable modem.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

you will have to lost it and get a cable router instead - same thing with no
modem...very few of the adsl modem jobbies have a 2nd wan port for cable