ADSL connection losses

Old February 6th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default ADSL connection losses

A colleague's ADSL connection seems to be desperately problematic, in that
the USB modem supplied by BT Broadband keeps losing sync with the exchange,
taking a few moments to regain sync before allowing a reconnection.

I'm aware that there were problems some time ago with the modems drawing too
much power, but the symptoms don't support this (once the line is sync'd,
the modem can reconnect). I can only assume that there's a physical fault
on the line, as BT have already sent a new modem and the problem still
exists. I've also tested for viruses on both AVG and housecall, and run
up-to-date AdAware and Spybot S&D. There were a couple of rogue diallers
and trojans, but these have been cleared out; and msconfig is clean.

BT seem to be extremely reluctant to get the engineers involved, but my
feeling is that this is a physical line issue. Unless anyone else has a
theory... ?

Old February 6th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

Tell us about what you have tried regarding their internal wiring, extension
telephones,
Sky boxes bells, ADSL filters, etc.

In particular, have you tried connecting the modem
to the incoming line without any other devices connected, ideally with all
extension wiring
disconnected too.

How far away from the exchange are they.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old February 6th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the question. The house has 2 extensions, both filtered. A
combined phone/fax on the one downstairs, the ADSL modem upstairs. I've
tried without the phone/fax, and swapped filters too as well as plugging in
the modem downstairs, and it still loses sync. No Sky.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the distance from the exchange.

Old February 6th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:21:04 -0000, "Trent SC"
wrote:

[...]

I know of 1 user who cured this type of problem by setting the
"internet options"/"connections" to "never dial a connection".

No idea why, though!
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 6th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

I'm willing to try anything, but how would the user connect?

Old February 7th 05, 04:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 6 Feb 2005, "Trent SC" wrote:

I know of 1 user who cured this type of problem by setting the
"internet options"/"connections" to "never dial a connection".

No idea why, though!

odds are the user had an ethernet connection to an ADSL modem/router then.

I'm willing to try anything, but how would the user connect?

possibly with difficulty, but it is 3 years from when I was first using
a USB unit... just bought some spare routers from Ebuyer... the single
port unit was 22.99 inc VAT and free delivery, and comes with USB cable
plus RJ11 - RJ11 plus RJ45 - RJ45 cables for modem to filter and PC
to router... with the diagnostic test menu item on the router, you can
hardly go wrong in checking a line, IMO. Ebuyer item 48448. Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $4.95)
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old February 7th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Peter M wrote:

possibly with difficulty, but it is 3 years from when I was first using
a USB unit... just bought some spare routers from Ebuyer... the single
port unit was 22.99 inc VAT and free delivery, and comes with USB cable
plus RJ11 - RJ11 plus RJ45 - RJ45 cables for modem to filter and PC
to router... with the diagnostic test menu item on the router, you can
hardly go wrong in checking a line, IMO. Ebuyer item 48448. Peter M.

Looks nice Peter, any drawbacks with the unit that you've found ?

Is it stable enough for non technical types to have (once someone teccy
has set it up for them) to use ?

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old February 8th 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:11:50 -0000, "Trent SC"
wrote:

[...]

On my system (w98), I started with a BT voyager 105 USB modem but now
use a safecom 4110. However, I have always had the option set to
"never dial a connection" even with analogue modems before broadband.
This only stops automatic dialling - which I never *wish* to use.

I have a folder (called dialup) inside my profile startmenu folder
which has my analogue and BT dialup shortcuts and select the one I
want when I wish to connect. I just copied (and renamed) the BT
shortcut from the "dial-up networking" folder shown in the windows
explorer folder tree (left hand window) into the "dialup" folder.

It was because I had not had the problem I suggested this solution to
other user!
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 8th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:17:02 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Peter M wrote:

possibly with difficulty, but it is 3 years from when I was first using
a USB unit... just bought some spare routers from Ebuyer... the single
port unit was 22.99 inc VAT and free delivery, and comes with USB cable
plus RJ11 - RJ11 plus RJ45 - RJ45 cables for modem to filter and PC
to router... with the diagnostic test menu item on the router, you can
hardly go wrong in checking a line, IMO. Ebuyer item 48448. Peter M.

Looks nice Peter, any drawbacks with the unit that you've found ?

Is it stable enough for non technical types to have (once someone teccy
has set it up for them) to use ?

That's the 4110 I use. Once setup it seems to be faster (subjectively)
than the 105 and may not need any further attention. I have mine with
the firewall blocking everything (grc.com reports total stealth), but
that means passive ftp only. I don't use chat etc.

paranoia Just ensure the passwords are changed and http access is
limited to LAN to secure the system /paranoia

HTH
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 8th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

Just to report back, this idea didn't work. But thanks for the suggestion.