Ethernet/USB

Old February 6th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ted_radioham

Default Ethernet/USB

Have I got it wrong or do a lot of Broadband providers only offer usb
connection via modem and not ethernet unless you have a router ?.

Old February 6th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:11:42 GMT, "ted_radioham"
wrote:

Have I got it wrong or do a lot of Broadband providers only offer usb
connection via modem and not ethernet unless you have a router ?.

If I understand your question correctly, broadband (ADSL I assume
you're asking about) is provided on your phone line. It is up to you
how you connect to it.

Some, I think, do not allow local networks on the connection, but I
don't know if it possible for them to tell ;-).

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old February 6th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

ted_radioham wrote:

Have I got it wrong or do a lot of Broadband providers only offer usb
connection via modem and not ethernet unless you have a router ?.

With many ISP's the default is a USB modem - particularly if it's "free".

However, most ISP's now offer alternative connection hardware - including
wired or wireless routers - and of course you can always buy your own from a
third-party source.

The odd ISP may still try to prevent you from sharing the connection by
registering your PC's MAC address and refusing to connect to anything else.
But most routers can get round that by MAC address spoofing.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 6th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:11:42 +0000, ted_radioham wrote:

Have I got it wrong or do a lot of Broadband providers only offer usb
connection via modem and not ethernet unless you have a router ?.

Because USB modems are ****e and dirt cheap. Not many offer routers, but
its a much better option for lots of reasons.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old February 6th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Hi

Recently went with broadband from Virgin Net. Didnt even bother getting
their usb modem out of the box. A Belkin wireless router/modem combo and I
was surfing within 20 mins

Ian

Old February 6th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Sunday 06 February 2005 11:01 Tiscali Tim wrote:

The odd ISP may still try to prevent you from sharing the connection
by registering your PC's MAC address and refusing to connect to
anything else. But most routers can get round that by MAC address
spoofing.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but is it true that any ISPs in the UK
still try to stop you sharing connections within the home?

Certainly BTO, when asked, used to reply with, "We do not support
networking on our domestic products".
If you said, "Does that mean that I can use it, but you won't help, or
does it mean that my T&Cs prohibit it?", they replied, "We do not
support networking on our domestic products"!

i.e. It was NOT banned. It was just that their helpline and web-site
would not help you to do it, or help you if you had a problem.
By contrast, one ISP who gets a lot of flak here actually has pages
and pages of tutorials re. home networking on the website, and I'd
assumed that all proper ISPs were similar.

Is this the case?
Are there some ISPs who prohibit it (or try to)?
Are there any who refuse to help do it?

Bill
Old February 7th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

B Gruff wrote:

On Sunday 06 February 2005 11:01 Tiscali Tim wrote:

The odd ISP may still try to prevent you from sharing the connection
by registering your PC's MAC address and refusing to connect to
anything else. But most routers can get round that by MAC address
spoofing.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but is it true that any ISPs in the UK
still try to stop you sharing connections within the home?

I don't know for sure whether there are still any, but am pretty sure that
there used to be.

That's why routers are provided with the MAC spoofing facility.
--
Cheers,
Tim