Mains ethernet

Old February 6th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
¬Stephen Hammond

Default Mains ethernet

Can some one recommend a mains Ethernet kit?

I want an ADSL modem with built in Ethernet to connect one computer to,
then I want to connect the other via the mains socket instead of cutting up
the house to lay an Ethernet cable.

I can't be arsed with wireless,

Thanks

Stephen

Old February 6th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
Can some one recommend a mains Ethernet kit?

I want an ADSL modem with built in Ethernet to connect one computer to,
then I want to connect the other via the mains socket instead of cutting up
the house to lay an Ethernet cable.

I hace used Devolo for ethernet over the mains. Works well

JP
Old February 6th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bronto

i got the Acer Homeplug kit (comes with 2 adaptors) from www.ebuyer.com
it's about £50

anyway, yes they work a treat with PCs, even tried it with my Playstation 2
for online play and works fine.

Old February 6th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

Can some one recommend a mains Ethernet kit?

I want an ADSL modem with built in Ethernet to connect one computer to,
then I want to connect the other via the mains socket instead of cutting
up the house to lay an Ethernet cable.

I can't be arsed with wireless,

Thanks

Stephen

Why don't you use WiFI - you are mobile then - and also,
its a lot more cheaper because its now a lot more common

Old February 6th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

7 wrote:
¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

Can some one recommend a mains Ethernet kit?

I want an ADSL modem with built in Ethernet to connect one
computer to, then I want to connect the other via the mains socket
instead of cutting up the house to lay an Ethernet cable.

I can't be arsed with wireless,

Thanks

Stephen

Why don't you use WiFI - you are mobile then - and also,
its a lot more cheaper because its now a lot more common

More secure. With WiFi unless you are scrupulous about setting up
security, anyone within earshot so to speak can get in on your connection.
A friend I spoke to the other day says he can see the WiFi systems of
three of his neighbours. Of course he is honest enough not to take
advantage, but not everybody is.

With mains ethernet, anyone wanting to listen in would have to be on the
same mains phase, plus unless they plugged in their own device (and were
on the same phase) they'd never know you were there.

Ivor

Old February 6th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Ivor Jones wrote:

7 wrote:
¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

[...]

If you want fortress level security, you couldn't
think about any of these options.

WiFI is similar, there is encryption available if needed for
the actual traffic or simpler methods like user authentication,
or mac address verification will ensure its a difficult
exercise for anyone to clammor on to your WiFI router.
Plus these things are done up such that trying to get
a connection from next house is reasonably inefficient
unless your router has a booster.

Old February 6th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StuffJustHappens

John wrote:
¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

Can some one recommend a mains Ethernet kit?

I want an ADSL modem with built in Ethernet to connect one computer
to, then I want to connect the other via the mains socket instead of
cutting up the house to lay an Ethernet cable.

I hace used Devolo for ethernet over the mains. Works well

JP

Saw a pair of units (brand name not known) in the 'specials' pile in PC
World (Chichester) yesterday - being sold off for 19.99 (maybe 29.99 - I
wasn't that interested!).

Old February 7th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

7 wrote:
snip

WiFI is similar, there is encryption available if needed for
the actual traffic or simpler methods like user authentication,
or mac address verification will ensure its a difficult
exercise for anyone to clammor on to your WiFI router.
Plus these things are done up such that trying to get
a connection from next house is reasonably inefficient
unless your router has a booster.

MAC verification isn't security.
MAC can be trivially read, and then spoofed easily when computer is off.
Antennas that give really good gain, and can pick up the router from several
times that that a typical omni antenna can do are simple.
Old sky dish, bit of coax, job done, an antenna with about 6 times the
range of a typical omni.
Old February 7th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

StuffJustHappens wrote:

Saw a pair of units (brand name not known) in the 'specials' pile in PC
World (Chichester) yesterday - being sold off for 19.99 (maybe 29.99 - I
wasn't that interested!).

Didn't know they were in Chichester - whereabouts are they?

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)