What is a good ADSL connection?

Old February 6th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Smith

Default What is a good ADSL connection?

Hi

I have recently changed all my micro-filters from plug-in types to
proper wall mounted BT-style sockets and I was wondering what a good set
of ADSL connection figures are. I didn't actually record them prior to
the filter changes (stupid!!), but I now get the following values
returned by my router.

Downstream
Link speed 576kbps
SNR 15.0dB
ATEN 37dB
Upstream
Link Speed 288kbps
ATEN 22dB

Are these good, typical or below average?

--
Simon Smith

http://www.dancingbear.demon.co.uk/
"If I was in it for the money, I'd be a millionaire by now"
Old February 7th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bannister

In message
Simon Smith wrote:

Hi

I have recently changed all my micro-filters from plug-in types to
proper wall mounted BT-style sockets and I was wondering what a good set
of ADSL connection figures are. I didn't actually record them prior to
the filter changes (stupid!!), but I now get the following values
returned by my router.

Downstream
Link speed 576kbps
SNR 15.0dB
ATEN 37dB
Upstream
Link Speed 288kbps
ATEN 22dB

Are these good, typical or below average?

Should be OK but how far from the exchange are you?
If you want to check pre-filter readings just unplug all the telephone
equipment so only the ADSL is plugged in. On hook phones shouldn't make that
much difference anyway but the filters won't affect the ADSL.

--
Ian Bannister
Old February 7th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Smith

In message , Ian Bannister
writes
In message
Simon Smith wrote:

Hi

I have recently changed all my micro-filters from plug-in types to
proper wall mounted BT-style sockets and I was wondering what a good set
of ADSL connection figures are. I didn't actually record them prior to
the filter changes (stupid!!), but I now get the following values
returned by my router.

Downstream
Link speed 576kbps
SNR 15.0dB
ATEN 37dB
Upstream
Link Speed 288kbps
ATEN 22dB

Are these good, typical or below average?

Should be OK but how far from the exchange are you?

About 7k feet from Exchange.

Old February 7th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Simon Smith wrote:
Hi

I have recently changed all my micro-filters from plug-in types to
proper wall mounted BT-style sockets and I was wondering what a good set
of ADSL connection figures are. I didn't actually record them prior to
the filter changes (stupid!!), but I now get the following values
returned by my router.

Downstream
Link speed 576kbps
SNR 15.0dB
ATEN 37dB
Upstream
Link Speed 288kbps
ATEN 22dB

Are these good, typical or below average?

That's one hell of a lot of noise - or does the power automatically reduce
to keep the same margin.

I'm at about 10Km, with atten of 60dB and SNR margin of 16dB.
Old February 7th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ian Stirling wrote:
Simon Smith wrote:
Hi

I have recently changed all my micro-filters from plug-in types to
proper wall mounted BT-style sockets and I was wondering what a good
set of ADSL connection figures are. I didn't actually record them
prior to the filter changes (stupid!!), but I now get the following
values returned by my router.

Downstream
Link speed 576kbps
SNR 15.0dB
ATEN 37dB
Upstream
Link Speed 288kbps
ATEN 22dB

Are these good, typical or below average?

That's one hell of a lot of noise - or does the power automatically
reduce to keep the same margin.

I'm at about 10Km, with atten of 60dB and SNR margin of 16dB.

It's you who's the lucky one, you must be on a newer copper cable all the
way. We've got BT managerial types living less than 3km away from their
exchange who can't have any service.....

Old February 7th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

kraftee [email protected]& die.com wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Simon Smith wrote:
[...]

The engineer did mention that the wire in the cable nearer the exchange was
unusually thick.
Does the exchange turn down the power to maintain a given S/N?
Old February 7th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ian Stirling wrote:
Simon Smith wrote:
[...]

The DSlams produce a fixed signal/power level.....

Old February 7th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

I'm at about 10Km, with atten of 60dB and SNR margin of 16dB.

Wait 20 years when your copper is as old as everyone elses !

Phill H

Old February 7th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Ian Stirling wrote:

I'm at about 10Km, with atten of 60dB and SNR margin of 16dB.

It's you who's the lucky one, you must be on a newer copper cable all the
way. We've got BT managerial types living less than 3km away from their
exchange who can't have any service.....

The engineer did mention that the wire in the cable nearer the exchange was
unusually thick.
Does the exchange turn down the power to maintain a given S/N?

No, I'm 8dB loss, 40dB S/N.

Bill