In terms of a News Service, who are RingNet?

Old February 7th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default In terms of a News Service, who are RingNet?

And what is their retention and selection of NGs like?

I ask because I'm scouting around for alternative ISPs, and V21 look a
possible candidate, and apparently their news access is provided by RingNet.

Old February 7th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

I was way ahead of you though ...

:-)

"Nigel M" wrote in message

There's so much scope for a joke here, but I'll leave it to others.

Old February 7th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Java Jive" wrote in message
And what is their retention and selection of NGs like?

I ask because I'm scouting around for alternative ISPs, and V21 look a
possible candidate, and apparently their news access is provided by

RingNet.

for text newsgroups, use news.individual.net, it's free
for binaries, subscribe to a decent news provider, easynews, giganews,
astraweb Claranews et al
ISP news servers are generally crap for binaries. If retention is important
to you, get yourself a premium news provider,
you know it makes sense ;-)

P.

Old February 7th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Java Jive wrote:
And what is their retention and selection of NGs like?

I ask because I'm scouting around for alternative ISPs, and V21 look a
possible candidate, and apparently their news access is provided by RingNet.

I would suggest you look at V21's forums before you decide to go with
them. They are on Telefonica datastream. There have been a lot of
unhappy people there who have been suffering bad/slow connections. When
things get bad the Mods disappear, tickets don't get answered. If you
want to migrate you can't on datastream, you have to cancel and
re-provide, or if you get on an ipstream connection it will cost you 30
to do so.

When I tried to sign up with them they messed me around for 11 weeks
with various excuses and promises. Escaped from them and PlusNet had me
connected in 10 days.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old February 7th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Camouflage

David G [email protected] wrote in
:

Java Jive wrote:
And what is their retention and selection of NGs like?

I ask because I'm scouting around for alternative ISPs, and V21 look
a possible candidate, and apparently their news access is provided by
RingNet.

I would suggest you look at V21's forums before you decide to go with
them. They are on Telefonica datastream. There have been a lot of
unhappy people there who have been suffering bad/slow connections.
When things get bad the Mods disappear, tickets don't get answered. If
you want to migrate you can't on datastream, you have to cancel and
re-provide, or if you get on an ipstream connection it will cost you
30 to do so.

When I tried to sign up with them they messed me around for 11 weeks
with various excuses and promises. Escaped from them and PlusNet had
me connected in 10 days.

Thanks for the warning ...

ADSL modem bust tonight (why always after the shops have closed?), so on
dialup now, will give it more thought and maybe reply more fully tomorrow