BT Broadband Basic and BT Openworld email

Old February 7th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Broadband Basic and BT Openworld email

I know there have been similar questions to this in the past but I
haven't seen a definitive answer to this configuration issue and I'm
hoping someone can help.

A friend of mine has signed up to BT Broadband Basic which offers no
email, however he definitely wants to continue using his BT Openworld
email address.

Will the following Outlook Express settings work?...

smtp - mail.btopenworld.com for sending.
pop - mail.btinternet.com for receiving.

If it works, are there any down sides?

....or do BT require signing up to their "premium BTYahoo package" at
1.50 a month to be able to continue using the same address.

Thanks for any answers.

Andy

Old February 7th 05, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Texy

This is what I,ve found.
I went from pay-as-you-go dial-up to tiscali BB only a couple of weeks
ago.
I have added my tiscali details to Outlook.
I am able to READ email from both accounts.
I don't have a need to SEND using my BT account.
When I hit the SEND/RECEIVE button it reads emails from both accounts,
but the BT account does show errors
- well it asks for a password, and even if I put it in, it still
doesn't like it.
I am still able to send and receive email via BT online.
I don't know if BT monitor how long there customers still dial-up for,
but last year I went to the US for 3 months
and my account was still active. I logged on almost daily and sent &
received email online. I could still dial-up when I got home.
Doesn't answer all your questions, but there you go.

Texy

Old February 7th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Texy wrote:
[...]

You will be able to read from the accounts, but you must be connected to
BT in some form to send. This prevents spam being sent anonymously
using the BT relay.

BT Broadband charge 1.50 a month for a POP mailbox, however if you set
up a pay as you go dial up account with a free POP mailbox, provided you
dial up once every 90 days to keep the account active you can actually
send via broadband. Saving you 4.49 evey 3 months.

No good for you non BT boys, but a useful tip if you didnt know.

Old February 7th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 7 Feb 2005 07:06:34 -0800, [Texy] said :-

[...]

If you're using Tiscali, then unless Tiscali actually check the email
address being used to send - just use the smtp server for Tiscali for
all your mail accounts. The "From" address can be left as exists.