Wanadoo Modem problems

Old February 7th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grey

Default Wanadoo Modem problems

With WinXP Pro Sp1, I am having grief with their ADSL modem which
occasionally causes a crash. I think the problem may be the modem sucking
out too much power from the USB port (which is part of a hub), and raising
the mobo temp to unacceptable limits. I have had similar probs once when I
used to have them LED USB cables. Anyone else having similar probs?

Graham

Old February 7th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:08:01 -0000, "Grey"
strung together this:

With WinXP Pro Sp1, I am having grief with their ADSL modem which
occasionally causes a crash. I think the problem may be the modem sucking
out too much power from the USB port (which is part of a hub), and raising
the mobo temp to unacceptable limits. I have had similar probs once when I
used to have them LED USB cables. Anyone else having similar probs?

Loads of people.

Sling that wanky modem out and get a nice ethernet modem\router.
--

SJW
Old February 7th 05, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Grey" wrote in message
With WinXP Pro Sp1, I am having grief with their ADSL modem which
occasionally causes a crash. I think the problem may be the modem sucking
out too much power from the USB port (which is part of a hub), and raising
the mobo temp to unacceptable limits. I have had similar probs once when I
used to have them LED USB cables. Anyone else having similar probs?

Graham

Yes, similar probs.

After numerous calls to their tech support who recommended un-installing and
re-installing, changing USB ports and downloading a free fix patch
(REFFIUP04940100 - this apparently solves the problem on Packard Bell PCs,
but mine is a Mesh PC with Win XP), I'm still no further forward.

Modem still not working. The lights did appear once but after I powered
down, it started to play up and neither of the two lights have ever appeared
again.

I've scoured google and wanadoo's own forums but getting nowhere fast.

Anyone any suggestions??

Old February 8th 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Monday 07 February 2005 21:38 A wrote:

"Grey" wrote in message
[...]

You two are MUCH more patient than I am!

When I went onto ADSL initially, BTO gave me a USB modem.
The following day I threw it across the room and against the far wall,
and ordered a combined modem/router mail-order, which arrived the
following day.
I left BTO, but stuck with the modem/router!

Bill
Old February 9th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Grey" wrote in message
With WinXP Pro Sp1, I am having grief with their ADSL modem which
occasionally causes a crash. I think the problem may be the modem sucking
out too much power from the USB port (which is part of a hub), and raising
the mobo temp to unacceptable limits. I have had similar probs once when I
used to have them LED USB cables. Anyone else having similar probs?

Graham

Yes the USB Frogs do suck the power out of a PC!! Reduced a 1100mhz Athlon
PC to a crawl. Now got it plugged into an old PC running Smoothwall
http://www.smoothwall.org/ and works fine