Router for a USB modem?

Old February 7th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oh God It's Him Again

Default Router for a USB modem?

A friend has a USB modem from One Tel and wants to network wirelessly to
another PC.

Will he be able to connect the modem to a router?

Thanks

Old February 7th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Oh God It's Him Again wrote:

A friend has a USB modem from One Tel and wants to network wirelessly
to another PC.

Will he be able to connect the modem to a router?

Thanks

Very unlikely. Routers usually only have ethernet inputs.

Chuck it away and get a combined ADSL modem/wireless router/firewall.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 7th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Tiscali Tim wrote:

Very unlikely. Routers usually only have ethernet inputs.

I've used a Vigor 2200USB router that connects via an external USB
modem, but as you say that is exceptional.

Chuck it away and get a combined ADSL modem/wireless router/firewall.

Probably the easiest way to go for a "home" setup ....
Old February 7th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oh God It's Him Again

Thanks Guys - been searching since posting, and the same answer comes up -
it's a no-no. So he has to start again!

Thanks for the replies.

Old February 7th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Andy Burns wrote:
Tiscali Tim wrote:

Very unlikely. Routers usually only have ethernet inputs.

I've used a Vigor 2200USB router that connects via an external USB
modem, but as you say that is exceptional.

I had one of those but sold it as it wasn't compatible with my ATA-486 for
Sipgate. Interesting piece of kit though.

Chuck it away and get a combined ADSL modem/wireless
router/firewall.

Probably the easiest way to go for a "home" setup ....

Indeed.

Ivor

Old February 7th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Ivor Jones wrote:

I had one of those but sold it as it wasn't compatible with my ATA-486 for
Sipgate. Interesting piece of kit though.

Restricted in exactly which USB modems it would work with as you needed
to upload the modem's firmware to the router, so that it in turn could
upload it to the modem.

Worked well enough though and a good method in the days before
wires-only adsl if you didn't want to be "naughty" and use a router
*instead* of the supplied modem ...
Old February 8th 05, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Oh God It's Him Again" wrote in message
Thanks Guys - been searching since posting, and the same answer comes up -
it's a no-no. So he has to start again!

Thanks for the replies.

If you have an old Pentium PC laying around with a USB socket and NIC, you
could use Smoothwall http://www.smoothwall.org/ . My Smoothie has been up 9
days 11hrs 13m 7s without a problem (only rebooted because ADSL went down).
Its plugged into a switch for wired connections and also a wireless access
point is plugged into the switch to give wireless all over the house. Modem
is a Wanadoo USB frog and PC is an old PII 400 celeron with 128mb ram.