How long?

Old February 7th 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigMomma

Default How long?

When you ask for ADSL to be installed, how long does it take the ISP?

(I assume if the ISP is BT and the phone connection is BT it takes less
time?)

Also, if you are ordering telephone service at the same time (that is,
you have no phone connection at the moment) can you get voice calls
whilst the ISP is getting BT to help with the ADSL rack?

This would apply when moving into a new house for example. The physical
logistics would have been done, but not the setting up of the services.

Thanks.
Old February 7th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:17:18 +0000, BigMomma
wrote:

When you ask for ADSL to be installed, how long does it take the ISP?

Usually around 7-10 calendar days, but it varies.

(I assume if the ISP is BT and the phone connection is BT it takes less
time?)

No.

BT are not allowed to give their ISPs preferential treatment.

Also, if you are ordering telephone service at the same time (that is,
you have no phone connection at the moment) can you get voice calls
whilst the ISP is getting BT to help with the ADSL rack?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

You will be able to use the phone for voice calls from the time it is
activated. ADSL *may* be activated at the same time, but probably
won't be. I'm not 100% certain you *can* order ADSL until you have an
active line.

When they activate ADSL on the line, there *may* be a few minutes when
the line is out of action for normal use. But you probably won't
notice.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Thirty-nine is a nice age for a man, especially if he's over 40

Old February 7th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"BigMomma" wrote in message
When you ask for ADSL to be installed, how long does it take the ISP?

(I assume if the ISP is BT and the phone connection is BT it takes less
time?)

Also, if you are ordering telephone service at the same time (that is, you
have no phone connection at the moment) can you get voice calls whilst the
ISP is getting BT to help with the ADSL rack?

This would apply when moving into a new house for example. The physical
logistics would have been done, but not the setting up of the services.

Thanks.

I had to do this at one of my new sites in November of last year.
Day one: I called BT to arrange installation of a new line. BT gave me an
engineering apointment for two days later. Got phone number from BT sales
person. One hour later phoned BB ISP with phone number and order for
Home1000 BB. Ordered router from online supplier.
Day Three: BT engineer turned up, installed line and left. Connected router
and Sync'ed up. Done and dusted !

This is about as quick as you could get, but on average 10 working days is
the norm.

73 de Phill H.

Old February 7th 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:41:49 UTC, Alex Heney wrote:

You will be able to use the phone for voice calls from the time it is
activated. ADSL *may* be activated at the same time, but probably
won't be. I'm not 100% certain you *can* order ADSL until you have an
active line.

With some ISPs (e.g. AAISP) you can. They handle it all.
--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old February 8th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigMomma

wrote:

[...]

In my case, I am moving in rented accomadation and there is the standard
BT socket. I assume the previous tenant has cancelled phone service.
So, I will get it reactivated under my name.

So my point was can I say to the ISP "look I'm having broadband on this
line. Since there is already a phone line installed, can you give me
voice service while you wait for BT to deal with the ADSL activation."
Old February 8th 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigMomma

P H wrote:
"BigMomma" wrote in message

When you ask for ADSL to be installed, how long does it take the ISP?

(I assume if the ISP is BT and the phone connection is BT it takes less
time?)

Also, if you are ordering telephone service at the same time (that is, you
have no phone connection at the moment) can you get voice calls whilst the
ISP is getting BT to help with the ADSL rack?

This would apply when moving into a new house for example. The physical
logistics would have been done, but not the setting up of the services.

Thanks.

I had to do this at one of my new sites in November of last year.
Day one: I called BT to arrange installation of a new line.

In my case there is already a line. It just needs me to tell the
service provider that I want it activated under my name.

My point is that if I am having broadband then the ISP provides both
voice and data services. So, I can't just call BT and ask them for a
normal voice landline connection because I also need the broadband.

BT gave me an
engineering apointment for two days later. Got phone number from BT sales
person. One hour later phoned BB ISP with phone number and order for
Home1000 BB. Ordered router from online supplier.
Day Three: BT engineer turned up, installed line and left. Connected router
and Sync'ed up. Done and dusted !

This is about as quick as you could get, but on average 10 working days is
the norm.

73 de Phill H.

On a bit of a tangent, if you have broadband, and the socket is a BT
one, do you have to pay BT quaterly charges for the connection, since
ths ISP that is providing voice and data is not BT?

TIA.
Old February 8th 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

[...]

The ISP will not give you voice service (unless you are using VOIP).

The voice service on your line is via BT, and is nothing to do with
the ISP, unless you are on cable, in which case neither voice nor ADSL
have anything to do with BT.

You can, of course, pay for your calls through a reseller, some of
whom (Onetel, Talk Talk, and others) also do ADSL ISP services.

If you are doing that, and buying both packages through the same
provider, there is no reason why you should not switch to them for
voice calls before ADSL is activated, although you can't guarantee
that the transfer of voice calls will occur before ADSL activation.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Hell, if you understood everything I said, you'd be me!

Old February 8th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:15:30 +0000, BigMomma
wrote:

In my case there is already a line. It just needs me to tell the
service provider that I want it activated under my name.

My point is that if I am having broadband then the ISP provides both
voice and data services.

What ISP are you using?

Unless you are on cable (or using an LLU supplier), there are none
that I know of that operate the way you seem to be expecting.

So, I can't just call BT and ask them for a
normal voice landline connection because I also need the broadband.

You not only can, you MUST call BT and ask them for a normal landline.
You can apply for ADSL activation at the same time, but have to do
that through your ISP.

On a bit of a tangent, if you have broadband, and the socket is a BT
one, do you have to pay BT quaterly charges for the connection, since
ths ISP that is providing voice and data is not BT?

Yes.

You must have a BT line before you can get ADSL, unless you are on
cable, or in one of the very few areas that LLU has been enabled.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Never hit a man with glasses. Use your fist!

Old February 8th 05, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 01:13:00 UTC, Alex Heney wrote:

My point is that if I am having broadband then the ISP provides both
voice and data services.

What ISP are you using?

Unless you are on cable (or using an LLU supplier), there are none
that I know of that operate the way you seem to be expecting.

NOt quite...but in some cases you can get the ISP to order the voice
line for you, and get ADSL on it. Saves time. You still pay BT for the
line, though.