AOL doubles speeds for no extra cost

Old February 7th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

Default AOL doubles speeds for no extra cost

Monday 07 February 2005, 10:38:37
United Kingdom
Written by Net 4 Nowt

AOL today announced it is doubling broadband speeds for all AOL
Broadband Silver, Gold and Platinum customers at no extra cost and will
be launching AOL Broadband in all 1,100 Dixons Group UK stores for the
first time on February 14.

At the same time, AOL becomes one of the first DSL broadband
providers to launch an unlimited 2Mbps service. All AOL Broadband
services include free modem and installation, access to an exclusive
broadband content package and free customer service and technical
support.

John Clare, Dixons Group Chief Executive, said: "We're very
excited to be partnering with AOL, an acknowledged worldwide leader in
Internet services with a first class reputation. The new broadband
deals on offer are the perfect companion for our state-of the-art range
of PCs and laptops. Our customers will welcome the blistering speed of
AOL Broadband, which offers an amazing range of content and
services."

From this week, AOL's broadband offering for new customers will
be as follows:

AOL Broadband Silver - 17.99 a month for an unlimited service
up to 512Kbps (previously 256Kbps)

AOL Broadband Gold - 24.99 a month for an unlimited service up
to 1Mbps (previously 512Kbps)

AOL Broadband Platinum - 29.99 a month for an unlimited
service up to 2Mbps (previously 1Mbps)

Karen Thomson, Chief Executive at AOL UK, said: "The success of
our partnership with Dixons Group has strongly benefited our dial-up
business in the last 12 months. We're confident that our broadband
services will perform just as well in-store, and the launch of our Home
Networking package paves the way to the digital home for even more
consumers."

She added: "We're now seeing broadband usage outstripping
dial-up, month on month, and with the addition of 2Mbps services,
consumers will be able to take full advantage of new content and
services, such as video on demand, which will become available over the
next year."

AOL will automatically upgrade broadband speeds for all existing
customers as quickly as possible. The existing Platinum 2 trial 2Mbps
service, at 34.99 per month, will now include free dial-up roaming
access. AOL Broadband members on the ntl cable network will be upgraded
to a 1Mbps service.

As part of the Dixons Group broadband roll-out, AOL is also
launching a wireless home networking package in conjunction with
hardware manufacturer NETGEAR. The 'AOL and NETGEAR for Home
Networking' package enables users to access a broadband Internet
connection on a computer and a range of home devices simultaneously,
and makes setting up a home network easier and faster.

Old March 5th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve B

I received an email from AOL today stating that my 256k had increased
to 512k but it hasn't infact my speed is nearer 230k so it's more
"rubberband" then "broadband" at the moment.
I asked the "live help" who said it was something to do with British
Telecom and not AOL who are upgrading the line...Oh and not to
worry...really technically minded that!

Come on AOL say what you mean and do what the email says and speed me
up,don't slow me down.

I wouldn't have minded but because they said I was going faster I
optimised the PC and its programs etc to run at 512k..Only to find out
the twits were telling untruths.

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!

Steve B.

Old March 6th 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve B

Cool today its nearer the mark at 400+ so well done to AOL for sorting
it out.

Steve B.