BT split called for

Old February 7th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Default BT split called for

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...rgis_bt_ofcom/

Energis has called on regulators to split BT
on back of 20 years of failure to get on with
providing competitive services.

Old February 9th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

"7" wrote in message
k...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...rgis_bt_ofcom/

Energis has called on regulators to split BT
on back of 20 years of failure to get on with
providing competitive services.

But will it really make them competitive? A few months back they got rid of
their standard charge and optional call packages with free (or at least
included) call time only to replace it with a compulsorary inclusive call
package, line charge increase and no included free time. This resulted for
some in an increase of 110% in their monthly (quarterly) charges. I am sure
the massive increase plus the compulsorary call package is illegal and if
not it should be. Why can't we have a simple basic line rental charge and
go where we want for a call package. So many are cheaper than BT. You can
still do that of course but you are forced into paying for their basic
package anyway. So where is the competition in that? It's about time
government stepped in and put a stop to this practice.

Rant over.

--
§meagol
(Ex Technical Officer with BT when it was the Post Office)

Old February 10th 05, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

§meagol wrote:

"7" wrote in message
k...
[...]

If split, then they can't show favouritism to themselves
and the inefficient sections of the business would distintegrate.
And give opportunities for good companies in tune with
established industry norms to prevail. You could be owning
symetric leased line speeds up to 100mbit speeds
for 30 pounds (i.e. 30p per megabit links) and really
be using the internet properly within 2 years or less
if such a break up is instigated. The technology for
providing this level of service has been around for years.
Once a company grabs a local loop, its a license to
print money - something like 500 to 1000 quid a year.
Multiply that by 100,000 lines for a small area,
then thats two to 3 million quid in the bank every month.
Thats a lot of money and a lot of telecom equipment kit,
considering one desk size unit is today capable of handling
100,000 calls for about a million quid.

No fcuk siree, bt$ ain't wanna give up their gravy train
any which way they can when you start discussing how
salivating it is for a private company to own
that last mile of copper from a pure profit point of view.
Particularly when BT will then have to pay YOU to deliver
THEIR calls to YOUR customers! Of course you have to pay them
to deliver your traffic, but you can use Energis or other
operators to carry the big traffic, and further by reducing
your cost with the latest equipment, the payments are always
gonna be from BT to you. Therefore the customer pays you,
and BT pays you. How far you can you go wrong with that??