How does this work (very basic).

Old February 8th 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jigsaw

Default How does this work (very basic).

I know this is a bit thick but here goes:

If you have a house with a BT socket but no contract with BT for the
landline and you want to get broadband what is the situation here.

a) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the broadband.
BT provides voice and ISP provides data.
b) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the broadband.
ISP provides voice and data. BT is the conduit since it is its line.
(Presumably one would pay the rental fee).
c) Ignore BT and contact the ISP who will provide data and voice services.

Thanks.

Old February 8th 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"B Gruff" wrote in message
b) Stick (for the moment) with BT on their cheapest tarriff (11 per
month, including 2 of "free" calls?)
Use them (and your inclusive calls) only for 0845, 087x etc. numbers.

BT's cheapest tariff for most users is BT Together Option 1 - its
10.50/month (11.50 if not paid by direct debit or monthly payment plan)

It has no inclusive minutes.

The "cheaper" tariffs specify that you can't have ADSL on them.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 8th 05, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:24:18 +0000, Jigsaw
wrote:

I know this is a bit thick but here goes:

If you have a house with a BT socket but no contract with BT for the
landline and you want to get broadband what is the situation here.

a)
b) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the broadband.
ISP provides voice and data. BT is the conduit since it is its line.
(Presumably one would pay the rental fee).
c) Ignore BT and contact the ISP who will provide data and voice services.

Either a or b is possible.

c is only possible if you use cable, or your provider is using LLU.

You also have an option d:

d) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the broadband.,
and another provider for voice calls. BT provide the line, Other
provider gives voice calls, ISP provides data. (This is the
situation I have, with voice calls through TalkTalk, and Plusnet as
ISP, all on a BT line that I have no choice about)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Illiterate?... Write for free help.

Old February 8th 05, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 00:24 Jigsaw wrote:

I know this is a bit thick but here goes:

If you have a house with a BT socket but no contract with BT for the
landline and you want to get broadband what is the situation here.

a) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the
broadband. BT provides voice and ISP provides data.
b) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the
broadband.
ISP provides voice and data. BT is the conduit since it is its
line. (Presumably one would pay the rental fee).
c) Ignore BT and contact the ISP who will provide data and voice
services.

1. Get BT to activate line.

2. Once you have a BT line, you are free to choose both your Internet
Service Provider and your "carrier". These could be the same
(One-tel or talk-talk spring to mind) or different.
My own choice would be:-

a) Choose an ISP for your ADSL, and let them set that up for you.

b) Stick (for the moment) with BT on their cheapest tarriff (11 per
month, including 2 of "free" calls?)
Use them (and your inclusive calls) only for 0845, 087x etc. numbers.
For other calls, open accounts on-line with:-

(i) 18866 for your UK calls (all calls at 1p per call)

(ii) 1899 for abroad (e.g. 3p per CALL to U.S., Canada)

(iii) Check all 3 for call prices to mobiles.

Gives great flexibility, and is probably the cheapest deal around:-)

Bill
Old February 8th 05, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 01:08 Sunil Sood wrote:

"B Gruff" wrote in message
b) Stick (for the moment) with BT on their cheapest tarriff (11
per month, including 2 of "free" calls?)
Use them (and your inclusive calls) only for 0845, 087x etc.
numbers.

BT's cheapest tariff for most users is BT Together Option 1 - its
10.50/month (11.50 if not paid by direct debit or monthly payment
plan)

It has no inclusive minutes.

Thx Sunil - I stand corrected:-)

I thought that BT put the price UP by 2 last year though, and claimed
that they weren't really putting it up because they included free
minutes. Must have been dreaming:-(

(Note to OP - Listen (always!) to Sunil - he knows what he's talking
about on these topics!)

Bill

Old February 8th 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jigsaw

wrote:

[...]

In this case I assume you pay BT for the rental of the line even though
they are not the voice provider?
Old February 8th 05, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mo

"Jigsaw" wrote in message

d) Get BT to reactivate the line then call the ISP for the broadband.,
and another provider for voice calls. BT provide the line, Other
provider gives voice calls, ISP provides data. (This is the
situation I have, with voice calls through TalkTalk, and Plusnet as
ISP, all on a BT line that I have no choice about)

In this case I assume you pay BT for the rental of the line even though
they are not the voice provider?

yea u pay BT something like 12 a month line rental, your ISP fees and your
telephone bill to the carrier.

we use BT for voice calls as well, theres no point using a carrier like
one.tel if u dont make many voice calls...

Old February 8th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Morris

Sunil Sood wrote:

"B Gruff" wrote in message
b) Stick (for the moment) with BT on their cheapest tarriff (11 per
month, including 2 of "free" calls?)
Use them (and your inclusive calls) only for 0845, 087x etc. numbers.

BT's cheapest tariff for most users is BT Together Option 1 - its
10.50/month (11.50 if not paid by direct debit or monthly payment plan)

It has no inclusive minutes.

The "cheaper" tariffs specify that you can't have ADSL on them.

Sunil,
Can you clarify "cheaper" tariffs please
Does your last line (above) mean you can't get ADSL on BT together
Option 1 (which you say is the "cheapest for most users")

Thank you
--
Roger