Wireless access point / NTL prob

Old February 8th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wireless access point / NTL prob

Hi everyone,

I am new to networking in general - I will try to be as precise as I
can.

SETUP
-----

* Sony Vaio K315M laptop running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
* A 2.8GHz PC running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
* NTL Broadband Cable modem
* Gigabyte GN-A17GU 108Mbps Access Point
* Gigabyte card for laptop
* Gigabyte card for PC.

PROBLEM
-------

The access point (AP) has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1, and
after much hassle, I managed to connect up my laptop to the AP. The
card in my laptop then has an IP address of 80.5.169.110 (let's say),
which then enables me to browse the internet.

I've tried 64-bit encryption and MAC filtering on the AP and cards, and
the laptop can communicate, and see the internet without problems.

Now...

I then tried to connect using my PC. The wierd thing is that the AP
assigned this second machine an IP of 192.168.1.2. I understand about
the DHCP thing, but am confused as to why this is very different from
my first IP on the laptop card, and consequently why I can't browse the
internet using this machine.

As I said - I'm a beginner, and would really appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,
Shane.

Old February 8th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

wrote in
oups.com:

* Sony Vaio K315M laptop running Windows XP Professional Service
Pack 2 * A 2.8GHz PC running Windows XP Professional Service Pack
2 * NTL Broadband Cable modem
* Gigabyte GN-A17GU 108Mbps Access Point
* Gigabyte card for laptop
* Gigabyte card for PC.

I then tried to connect using my PC. The wierd thing is that the
AP assigned this second machine an IP of 192.168.1.2. I
understand about the DHCP thing, but am confused as to why this is
very different from my first IP on the laptop card, and
consequently why I can't browse the internet using this machine.

To share a single Internet connection requires a router. While I'm
not familiar with the Gigabyte range of products, it looks like you
have the standalone wireless access point, rather than the wireless
router.

Suggest you return it to the supplier and exchange it for the GN-B49G
model.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.