Connect Netgear Wireless DG834G To Telewest Cable Modem

Old February 8th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PTHawkes

Default Connect Netgear Wireless DG834G To Telewest Cable Modem

Dear All

I have recently moved and signed up to Telewest cable broadband. Coming
from an old ADSL/BT set up with a netgear DG834G ADSL wireless
Modem/Router. Has anyone out there had any success in being able to
connect the router to the Telewest cable modem. Thus basically using
the Wireless router and modem(DG834G) as an access point only. If you
get my drift....

Is this at all possible or will I have to chuck the router.

Cheers in advance
Paul

Old February 8th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

PTHawkes wrote:

Dear All

I have recently moved and signed up to Telewest cable broadband. Coming
from an old ADSL/BT set up with a netgear DG834G ADSL wireless
Modem/Router. Has anyone out there had any success in being able to
connect the router to the Telewest cable modem. Thus basically using
the Wireless router and modem(DG834G) as an access point only. If you
get my drift....

Is this at all possible or will I have to chuck the router.

Cheers in advance
Paul

Thats trying to mix chalk and cheese.
Cable modems and ADSL modem+router are fundamentally different equipment.

The cable modems usually have USB and ethernet output. Try and use
the ethernet output - that allows multiple PCs to
connect together.

You just need standard ethernet switch, ethernet hub or ethernet router
to attach to the cable modem's ethernet port.
The advantage of using ethernet router is the firewall
which is essential these days. About 30-40 quid for standard ethernet
routers.

Old February 8th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On 8 Feb 2005 03:47:08 -0800, "PTHawkes"
strung together this:

Is this at all possible

No. You only need the modem for ADSL lines. Cable just needs a router
plugging into their modem.

or will I have to chuck the router.

You'd be better off eBaying it. ;-)
--

SJW
Old February 8th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doehead

I have recently moved and signed up to Telewest cable broadband. Coming
from an old ADSL/BT set up with a netgear DG834G ADSL wireless
Modem/Router. Has anyone out there had any success in being able to
connect the router to the Telewest cable modem. Thus basically using
the Wireless router and modem(DG834G) as an access point only. If you
get my drift....

Is this at all possible or will I have to chuck the router.

If you mean access point as in just using it as a wireless access point,
then yeah you can do it, but it's a bit of a fudge. I only know it's
possible because I did it while in the process of moving from a telewest to
a ADSL area and my DG834 turned up while still with Telewest.

I can't remember all the details, but I think I probably had two network
cards in the PC - one connected to the telewest modem and the other to the
router. The PC was running internet connection sharing software obviously. I
disabled the DHCP server in the router and let the PC handle that. Wireless
just "worked" I think...clients would connect to the router, ask for an IP,
and it would then pass the request back to the PC.

I think it probably worked sharing the internet connection with an xbox too.
So the router gets to stay as a router and a WAP, but the PC has to deal
with the communication to the TW modem because as others have said, ADSL and
TW obviously aren't compatible.

Iain

Old February 8th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PTHawkes

Thanks for the help people

I guess I'm gonna have to scrap it then. I only have one machine and
network card. I was hoping to use the Wireless Router as an
access point only but as you've pointed out I guess its not gonna work

Thanks again

Old February 8th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

I am not an expert here, but don't bin it.

If you get a Cable modem I am sure you can use the one you got now as a
extended router and wireless access point.

The only bit that would not work is the modem side of it.

But Like I said I am no expert so I could be totally wrong.

oups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PTHawkes

Thats what I thought....but I've searched all over and have not found
anyone who has attempted this or got this right

Old February 8th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Scrap it? Surely you mean eBay it. If you can't be bothered, box it up and
send it to me - I'll even pay the postage ;-).

Paul DS.

Old February 8th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark眾偽

PTHawkes wrote:
Thats what I thought....but I've searched all over and have not found
anyone who has attempted this or got this right

Set the DG834 in Bridge mode - slot it in between the cable modem and
the PC.
See what happens......

--

Mark眾偽
Old February 8th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

And me, will pat X2 postage.

Send it, please.

. net...