Modem router for Plusnet / Force 9

Old February 8th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian A

Default Modem router for Plusnet / Force 9

1. I use Netgear combination DM602 / WGR614 on Force 9 and all works
well.
I am looking at another installation on Force 9 and would prefer to
use Netgear because I am used to it. How well does the Netgear 'all in
one box' DG834GT work with Force 9? - or any other recommendations.
I had to set up the DM602 modem/router as a router on my set-up to
makethe combination work with PPPoA so I am a bit concerned as to how
well the DG834GT might operate.

2. Anyone used the gear sold by F9? What make is it?

3. Has anyone used any of the above on Sipgate?
(perhaps more a question for the Telecoms Newsgroup)
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 8th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

The DSLAM termination equipment is the same regardless of the ISP so you
don't need to ask about particular ISPs. Personally I hate Netgear stuff.
We have had a few problematic Netgear ADSL boxes at customer premises and
on a different level their VPN boxes are absolutely atrocious (or rather
the software is so badly designed and difficult to configure.

At home I have had an Asus, Dynamode (which died and got taken back) and
a Westell. Beware of *anything* based on the Conexant chipset (ie the
Dynamode). MRI don't seem to fare too well, we mostly use Cisco boxes for
businesses and their sister company's boxes for home use (Linksys)

--
Colin
Old February 9th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Brian A:
3. Has anyone used any of the above on Sipgate?

Sipgate works just fine on PlusNet, and should on any 'decent' broadband
(i.e. preferably 512Mb/s ).
If you are into VoIP you should consider routers with VoIP phone sockets so
you can make VoIP calls without the computer
being switched on. Check out the Zoom X5V if you want a cheap one,
Draytek Vigor 2500V for very good one, and Vigor 2600V (two VoIP sockets) if
you want the best.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 9th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian A

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 01:33:05 -0000, "Martin²" wrote:

Brian A:
3. Has anyone used any of the above on Sipgate?

Sipgate works just fine on PlusNet, and should on any 'decent' broadband
(i.e. preferably 512Mb/s ).
If you are into VoIP you should consider routers with VoIP phone sockets so
you can make VoIP calls without the computer

I thought the Sipgate router would plug into standard RJ45 router
sockets and then operate with the computer off.
Just what are VoIP sockets?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 10th 05, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Brian A:
I thought the Sipgate router would plug into standard RJ45 router
sockets and then operate with the computer off.
Just what are VoIP sockets?

You can have an ATA adaptor / router plugged to your ethernet RJ45,
then plug ordinary analog phone into that using RJ11 plug.
Or you can buy IP phone which plugs directly into the RJ45.
Either will cost you £69 + p&p from sipgate.

Routers with VoIP socket(s) have the adaptor built in, so you get one or two
RJ11 sockets to plug your ordinary (cordless)
phone(s) into, in addition to (normally) 4 ethernet RJ45 ports.
In addition (at least with Draytek) the VoIP phone can also use the POTS
line, it also defaults to it in case of power failure.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 11th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian A

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:41:37 -0000, "Martin²" wrote:

Brian A:
I thought the Sipgate router would plug into standard RJ45 router
sockets and then operate with the computer off.
Just what are VoIP sockets?

You can have an ATA adaptor / router plugged to your ethernet RJ45,
then plug ordinary analog phone into that using RJ11 plug.
Or you can buy IP phone which plugs directly into the RJ45.
Either will cost you £69 + p&p from sipgate.

Routers with VoIP socket(s) have the adaptor built in, so you get one or two
RJ11 sockets to plug your ordinary (cordless)
phone(s) into, in addition to (normally) 4 ethernet RJ45 ports.
In addition (at least with Draytek) the VoIP phone can also use the POTS
line, it also defaults to it in case of power failure.
Regards,
Martin

Thanks for this information. I will probably go for the Draytec and
use it on F9/Plusnet.
What is the customer service like on Draytec if you get a problem with
set up?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 12th 05, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Brian A:
What is the customer service like on Draytec if you get a problem with
set up?

www.seg.co.uk provide Draytek UK support and have a forum, useful for
advanced setup.
I gather that they are helpful, never had need to use them, except to
download upgraded firmware
to make the VoIP work (my Vigor 2600 is two years old).
Regards,
Martin