Wanadoo: problems with modem - tied into 12 month contract?

Old February 8th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wanadoo: problems with modem - tied into 12 month contract?

Hi

I'm currently experiencing problems with Wanadoo's Speedtouch 330 modem.
The lights appeared on the first installation but the modem no longer lights
up. This is despite un-installing and re-installing numerous times, trying
different USB ports, downloading a free fix patch (REFFIUP04940100 -
apparently solves the problem on Packard Bell PCs, but mine is a Mesh PC
with Win XP) - all on the recommendation of various people in their Tech
Support Dept.

My account is meant to go live on 11 Feb but the modem doesn't even operate
on standby. They are now in the process of sending me out a new modem as
they think the one I have may be faulty. I've googled this problem and
although it's not uncommon, I can't seem to find a solution.

Can I cancel after the go live date if I still can't connect and there are
no lights on the existing or the new modem? Or will I be tied into paying
for 12 months for a service I can't even use?!

Can anyone recommend a similar package with a different ISP for as cheap a
price - 17.99 for 1Mbps?

TIA

Old February 8th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:21:38 -0000, "A" strung
together this:

I can't seem to find a solution.

I've got one for you. Sling that wanky USB thing out and get a nice
new, or used, ethernet modem\router.
--

SJW
Old February 8th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for your reply Lurch.

Do any of the ISPs provide an ethernet modem/router? Would like to keep
costs to a minimum as I'm on a tight budget.

TIA

Old February 8th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:35:55 -0000, "A" strung
together this:

Thanks for your reply Lurch.

Do any of the ISPs provide an ethernet modem/router? Would like to keep
costs to a minimum as I'm on a tight budget.

Not that I know of, they all send out the cheapest thing they can
find. Ebuyer have some cheap modem\routers for under 40 that some
other people here have said to have tried with some success. I can't
comment personally as I've never tried any of them.
--

SJW
Old February 9th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:35:55 -0000, "A" wrote:

Thanks for your reply Lurch.

Do any of the ISPs provide an ethernet modem/router? Would like to keep
costs to a minimum as I'm on a tight budget.

TIA

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:21:38 -0000, "A" strung
together this:

I can't seem to find a solution.

I've got one for you. Sling that wanky USB thing out and get a nice
new, or used, ethernet modem\router.
--

SJW

As the other poster says....go check out Ebuyer.com for a replacement.

I didnt even open my Wanadoo modem box, instead I bit the bullet and
set up a wireless ADSL router (3COM)

I have setup a wireless Linksys WAG54G for my neighbours too and they
are very pleased.

My father has a wired Linksys AG041 ADSL gateway and he is chuffed to
bits

If you only have one PC then their is not point going wireless, but
Linksys, and 3Com have been very good to me and my friends.

All these items were bought from Ebuyer.

HTH

Harrry
Old February 9th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Umm. I have a Netgear DG834T and the ADSL lights never lit until the day it
"went live". It is possible that the lights going on at all was a fluke.

I would recommend you wait until "live date" and then ring up and tell them
they have breached their contract and you are therefore cancelling if the
lights don't got on. You _may_ have to give them a legitimate chance to fix
it if the lights don't go on, someone with a legal bent might be able to
advise better.

BTW, are you sure that the phone cable is fully clicked in? A neighbour of
mine spent a long time diagnosing a similar "no lights on modem" problem
before we discovered that the phone cable into the modem required a _very_
hard push to fully mate (with a satisfying "click"). Without this, the
modem appeared to do nothing. Once in place, the plug was almost impossible
to get out, it was so far in!

Paul DS.

Old February 10th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

A wrote:

downloading a free fix patch (REFFIUP04940100 -
apparently solves the problem on Packard Bell PCs, but mine is a Mesh PC
with Win XP) -

That patch solves a *different* problem encountered only when
installing Speedtouch USB modems on certain PackardBell models.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/my...Nr=topic_01814
Old February 25th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I have just bought a Wireless Linksys WAG54G router.

I have a Wanadoo connection.

Do you have any advice on how to set it up so I can get wireless
access to the internet. What a really need is a step by step guide.

Thanks
Damian

Harry wrote in

messagenews:[email protected] x.com...

Old February 25th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I asked the same question here a few weeks ago. Search this newsgroup
for "Will a Linksys WAG54G work with Wanadoo broadband?" for
instructions.

Regards,
Steven