bt master socket and dsl extension - sorry long enquiry

Old February 8th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LHW

Default bt master socket and dsl extension - sorry long enquiry

I have crawled over recent posting and I am sure there is someone
reading this group who can answer my question. Similar ones have been
posted but not quite the query I have.

Basically my BT master socket is in the kitchen which is not where I
wish to have my computer. For aesthetic reasons I dont want to have
plug in filters in each extension socket so have fitted a replacement
solwise filter socket on the BT master. What I didnt realise until I
bought it as that this would then make all downstream sockets
filtered.

What I dont know/understand is:

1. Can I put an ADSL splitter on the downstream (already filtered)
sockets and expect broadband reception to work?

if not:

2. To get an unfiltered line do I either need a special faceplate mod
like the one from
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm ( more expense
but if that is the way ok) and then to run an unfiltered extension to
the computer location.

or

3. Can I connect a cable to the a & b terminals on the BT socket and
run that to the computer location. I understand that BT disapprove of
this but is this method viable, if so what sort of cable do I need and
what sort of socket box at the end. I have read on Peter Parry's site
that this second master may be an option but then I got confused with
pbx terminal and whether I need to snip off the capacitor or not.

My prefered option would be to run the computer extension cable
outside the house, as this will be the neatest option, but this
implies outdoor cable and ideally brown colour. I also like the idea
of the computer being served buy its own socket, runnning unfiltered
until the box; but I am wary and got a little lost with increased
impetance threads. The clarity faceplate offers a neat solution but
what type of wire should I use for best performance and fixed
externally.

basically I am looking for the most cost effective way of running my
DSL signal from the current location (which suits standard voice
telephone very well), without having a wifi solution or a router in
the kitchen.

Lloyd
Old February 8th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On 8 Feb 2005 14:02:08 -0800, (LHW) wrote:

I have crawled over recent posting and I am sure there is someone
reading this group who can answer my question. Similar ones have been
posted but not quite the query I have.

Basically my BT master socket is in the kitchen which is not where I
wish to have my computer. For aesthetic reasons I dont want to have
plug in filters in each extension socket so have fitted a replacement
solwise filter socket on the BT master. What I didnt realise until I
bought it as that this would then make all downstream sockets
filtered.

What I dont know/understand is:

1. Can I put an ADSL splitter on the downstream (already filtered)
sockets and expect broadband reception to work?

No.

It must be an unfiltered connection to the ADSL modem or modem/router.

if not:

2. To get an unfiltered line do I either need a special faceplate mod
like the one from
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm ( more expense
but if that is the way ok) and then to run an unfiltered extension to
the computer location.

That is certainly one way, and probably the best.

Another alternative is simply to run a CAT5 cable from the unfiltered
outlet on the faceplate all the way to your computer.

A third alternative would be to get a wireless router, and a wireless
adapter for the computer. The router could then be placed somewhere
inconspicuous near the master socket.

or

3. Can I connect a cable to the a & b terminals on the BT socket and
run that to the computer location. I understand that BT disapprove of
this

It is actually illegal.

You are not allowed to touch the wiring on the BT side of the socket.

My prefered option would be to run the computer extension cable
outside the house, as this will be the neatest option, but this
implies outdoor cable and ideally brown colour. I also like the idea
of the computer being served buy its own socket, runnning unfiltered
until the box; but I am wary and got a little lost with increased
impetance threads. The clarity faceplate offers a neat solution but
what type of wire should I use for best performance and fixed
externally.

basically I am looking for the most cost effective way of running my
DSL signal from the current location (which suits standard voice
telephone very well), without having a wifi solution or a router in
the kitchen.

OK, that takes out the "third alternative" above :-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Never deprive someone of hope; it may be all they have.

Old February 9th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On 8 Feb 2005 14:02:08 -0800, (LHW) strung
together this:

1. Can I put an ADSL splitter on the downstream (already filtered)
sockets and expect broadband reception to work?

No, the filters filter out the ADSL frequencies from the voice line so
there will be no ADSL at any voice (filtered) sockets.

2. To get an unfiltered line do I either need a special faceplate mod
like the one from
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm ( more expense
but if that is the way ok) and then to run an unfiltered extension to
the computer location.

Yes, that would work.

3. Can I connect a cable to the a & b terminals on the BT socket and
run that to the computer location. I understand that BT disapprove of
this but is this method viable, if so what sort of cable do I need and
what sort of socket box at the end. I have read on Peter Parry's site
that this second master may be an option but then I got confused with
pbx terminal and whether I need to snip off the capacitor or not.

Technically, yes it will work but it's not advised.
As for the socket at the other end you could use anything you like, as
long as you match up the pins for the ADSL modem to work. Easiest
would be a BT secondary with a filter pluigged in, but RJ11 socket
would be the neatest as you don't need a filter for the ADSL, it just
works an adaptor for the modem lead.

My prefered option would be to run the computer extension cable
outside the house, as this will be the neatest option, but this
implies outdoor cable and ideally brown colour. I also like the idea
of the computer being served buy its own socket, runnning unfiltered
until the box;

The ADSL modem isn't filtered, the voice sockets are.

but I am wary and got a little lost with increased
impetance threads. The clarity faceplate offers a neat solution but
what type of wire should I use for best performance and fixed
externally.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk do external cable I think, along with
various other materials that you'll require.
..
basically I am looking for the most cost effective way of running my
DSL signal from the current location (which suits standard voice
telephone very well), without having a wifi solution or a router in
the kitchen.

I'd get the modified splitter from Clarity and run an unfiltered
extension round to the computer for ADSL.
--

SJW
Old February 9th 05, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

LHW wrote:
[variously pruned]

1. Can I put an ADSL splitter on the downstream (already filtered)
sockets and expect broadband reception to work?

No

2. To get an unfiltered line do I either need a special faceplate mod
like the one from
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm ( more expense
but if that is the way ok) and then to run an unfiltered extension to
the computer location.

Yes. Use CAT5 (twisted pair) cable NOT THE FLAT STUFF. This should be
OK on most lines, might affect things if ADSL is marginal.

3. Can I connect a cable to the a & b terminals on the BT socket and
run that to the computer location.

Will work. Will upset BT big time if they ever find out.

An alternative would be to accept a second 85mm box in the kitchen to do
the breakout/filtering.
Put the old socket back in the real master, very short wire from that to
the second socket where you put the filtering and your phone wiring.
Picking off the 2 and 5 before filtering in the back of this box is then
fine, and take it away as you intended to the computer.
Electrically of course equivalent to wiring onto A and B but legal.

Bill

Old February 9th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Smith

Lloyd

I had a very similar problem and in the end the solution was quite
straight-forward. If you go to the ADSLNation website www.adslnation.com
and look at their filters you will se a good selection. What I did was:
Replace the Master Socket with a new part. Wired all the extensions from
the UNfiltered output. Then used a filter telephone socket in place of
each extension, except where my router is and here I used an ADSL/Phone
faceplate. Now I have no hanging filters and a very neat installation.
The only think I would add is to label the filtered telephone sockets as
the faceplates are not marked.

Regards

Simon

In message , LHW
writes
[...]

http://www.dancingbear.demon.co.uk/
"If I was in it for the money, I'd be a millionaire by now"
Old February 10th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

As a quick aside - I've come to this newsgroup because adslnation do not
supply enough info to wire up their ADSL/phone faceplate for the NTE-5.
However, many thanks to Alex Heney & Bill who also responded to LHW's
request with the link to
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm which *does* give the
info on wiring up adslnations NTE-2005. Come on adslnation get your FAQ up
to date!