ADSL Line Limbo

Old February 8th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bal

Default ADSL Line Limbo

I used to have broadband provided by BTO on a 2nd line which I stopped a
couple of years back.
I now want to get ADSL from another ISP but on checking compatibility the
line is still showing as ADSL active so question is how to I get the line
released so that it can be used by the new ISP?

The 2nd line is a lot newer hence the preference for it rather than doing a
ISP migration on the first line.

Thanks in advance

Bal

Old February 9th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Bal" wrote in message
I used to have broadband provided by BTO on a 2nd line which I stopped a
couple of years back.
I now want to get ADSL from another ISP but on checking compatibility the
line is still showing as ADSL active so question is how to I get the line
released so that it can be used by the new ISP?

The 2nd line is a lot newer hence the preference for it rather than doing

ISP migration on the first line.

Thanks in advance

Bal

Are you saying that you don't use this physical line for anything? I don't
think that physical wire means the same as phone number. If you dropped
using that physical line, odds are the phone number associated with it was
assigned to someone else. In short, you need a new "line" i.e. number,
you're just saving BT from having to run new physical cable.

Paul DS.

Old February 9th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:25:29 -0000, "Bal" wrote:

I used to have broadband provided by BTO on a 2nd line which I stopped a
couple of years back.
I now want to get ADSL from another ISP but on checking compatibility the
line is still showing as ADSL active

When you terminate your contract with an ISP, they're supposed to tell
BT to cease the DSL on it. Sounds like BTO forgot.

so question is how to I get the line
released so that it can be used by the new ISP?

I believe you need to speak to BTO to get them to properly close off
the DSL provision on the line. You MAY be able to get a new ISP to use
it, but its not certain. You may also be able to persuade BT to allow
another ISP to assume the DSL provision for you, but again uncertain.