Vigor 2600VG - what's it like?

Old February 9th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Horton

Default Vigor 2600VG - what's it like?

Hi,
thinking of buying the above mentioned device from Draytek. Thought I
would look at their user forums just to see how people are getting on
with it. Problem is, I can only use the forums if I am a Draytek
customer. This seems a bit daft.

Have wondered if it is possible to power down the wireless section since
I don't need to use it all of the time. No Point in burning power
needlessly.

Cheers.
Old February 9th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 09/02/2005 Rob Horton wrote:

Hi,
thinking of buying the above mentioned device from Draytek. Thought I
would look at their user forums just to see how people are getting on
with it. Problem is, I can only use the forums if I am a Draytek
customer. This seems a bit daft.

I must admit to fibbing about this when I signed up with their forum, I
just crossed my fingers and said I was a customer.

Having done so and read the comments, particularly about WAP problems,
I went for Linksys.

There are also some open Australian forums for Draytek, they don't pull
their punches.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.4
Old February 9th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:22:17 +0000, Rob Horton
wrote:

Hi,
thinking of buying the above mentioned device from Draytek. Thought I
would look at their user forums just to see how people are getting on
with it. Problem is, I can only use the forums if I am a Draytek
customer. This seems a bit daft.

Have wondered if it is possible to power down the wireless section since
I don't need to use it all of the time. No Point in burning power
needlessly.

I really doubt the amount of extra power used by the built-in wireless
access point would be even discernable on your electricity bill.

Chris

Old February 9th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

Chris Blunt wrote:

I really doubt the amount of extra power used by the built-in wireless
access point would be even discernable on your electricity bill.

I spoke to one UK supplier (can't remember which) who thought you COULD
disable the Wifi. For me, the interest is in reducing the family's RF
exposure rather than to save kwh.

John Geddes
Old February 9th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:32:55 +0000, John Naismith
wrote:

On 9 Feb 2005 16:39:01 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

On 09/02/2005 Rob Horton wrote:

Hi,
thinking of buying the above mentioned device from Draytek. Thought I
would look at their user forums just to see how people are getting on
with it. Problem is, I can only use the forums if I am a Draytek
customer. This seems a bit daft.

I must admit to fibbing about this when I signed up with their forum, I
just crossed my fingers and said I was a customer.

Having done so and read the comments, particularly about WAP problems,
I went for Linksys.

There are also some open Australian forums for Draytek, they don't pull
their punches.

I have one. It's boxed up and unlikely ever to be touched again.

I use a Zyxel P2602HW instead. It does what it says on the box.

I agree that there were a lot of problems reported when the 2600VG was
first released.

I have a 2600We, and also had difficulties using this with VoIP
services but there have been a couple of firmware updates in the last
few weeks which have solved all of my previous problems. Perhaps it
might be worth taking your 2600VG out of its box one more time to see
if a firmware upgrade might help.

Chris

Old February 9th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:35:45 +0000, John Geddes
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

I really doubt the amount of extra power used by the built-in wireless
access point would be even discernable on your electricity bill.

I spoke to one UK supplier (can't remember which) who thought you COULD
disable the Wifi. For me, the interest is in reducing the family's RF
exposure rather than to save kwh.

Perhaps removing the antenna and short circuiting the RF output
sockets would achieve that. ;-)

Chris

Old February 9th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Morrison

Chris Blunt wrote:

I have a 2600We, and also had difficulties using this with VoIP
services but there have been a couple of firmware updates in the last
few weeks which have solved all of my previous problems.

There have? Of a non-beta variety? AFAICS the only 2.5.5 versions for
the original 2600 series about are beta and haven't changed in some time.

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
Old February 9th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Cook

Rob Horton wrote:

Hi,
thinking of buying the above mentioned device from Draytek. Thought I
would look at their user forums just to see how people are getting on
with it. Problem is, I can only use the forums if I am a Draytek
customer. This seems a bit daft.

Have wondered if it is possible to power down the wireless section since
I don't need to use it all of the time. No Point in burning power
needlessly.

I had a 2600 VG - the Wireless was very reluctant to turn on at all.
Old February 9th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:29:35 +0000, Brian Morrison
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

I have a 2600We, and also had difficulties using this with VoIP
services but there have been a couple of firmware updates in the last
few weeks which have solved all of my previous problems.

There have? Of a non-beta variety? AFAICS the only 2.5.5 versions for
the original 2600 series about are beta and haven't changed in some time.

It is still beta, but their v2.5.6 firmware has just fixed a problem
I've had using my Draytek 2600We router with Sipgate.

Chris

Old February 9th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Warner

Andrew Cook wrote:

I had a 2600 VG - the Wireless was very reluctant to turn on at all.

You folk are making me nervous.

I have a 2600Gi that's been plug and play faultless... up 'til now
anyway.

Slightly Worried,
Tom
--