Two companies - are they decent?

Old February 9th 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jigsaw

Default Two companies - are they decent?

Right, opinions please, chaps.

First Wanadoo BB - £18/month, 1 Mbps, 2 Gbps/month.

Second, Virgin - 512Kbps, £18/month, 3 Gbps/month, no contract - it's
month by month - am I right? Is there a sign-up fee?

I cannot find if Wanadoo has a contract or installation fee.

Failing that, I am simply looking for good quality reliable BB at a
reasonable monthly price (512 or 1Mbps is fine), with say 3+ Gbps/month.

The need not to be signed into a X month contract is crucial and no sign
up fee would be great.

I know their will always be better deals, but at some point you just
have to go with what seems decent!
Old February 10th 05, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Check out Madasafish.co.uk,
£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included,
no connection fee, free modem
AND two months FREE !
Yes, there is a 12 month contract, but you can get out for £80.

Although I normaly recommend my ISP - PlusNet -
I must admit that the above deal is unbeatable.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 10th 05, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Jigsaw wrote:

Right, opinions please, chaps.

First Wanadoo BB - £18/month, 1 Mbps, 2 Gbps/month.

Second, Virgin - 512Kbps, £18/month, 3 Gbps/month, no contract - it's
month by month - am I right? Is there a sign-up fee?

Theres no sign-up (activation) fee on Virgin's products, and yes, it's a
one month contract.

I cannot find if Wanadoo has a contract or installation fee.

No installation fee, however there is a 12 month contract.

Failing that, I am simply looking for good quality reliable BB at a
reasonable monthly price (512 or 1Mbps is fine), with say 3+ Gbps/month.

Freedom2surf's "Connect" packages may suit you -
http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php

Failing that, have a play with the ISP comparitor over at ADSLGuide
(http://www.adslguide.org.uk)

Old February 10th 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

In article ,
Martin² wrote:
Check out Madasafish.co.uk,
£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included,
no connection fee, free modem
AND two months FREE !
Yes, there is a 12 month contract, but you can get out for £80.

I must admit that the above deal is unbeatable.

I don't see the point of having a broadband connection when you
only can download 250 megabytes a month. That's not even 1 Linux CD.
You'd need to spread it over 3 months to not be charged. You'd end
up buying it from PC World!

Pete
Old February 10th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:56:58 +0000 (UTC), Pete
wrote:

In article ,
Martin² wrote:
Check out Madasafish.co.uk,
£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included,
no connection fee, free modem
AND two months FREE !
Yes, there is a 12 month contract, but you can get out for £80.

I must admit that the above deal is unbeatable.

I don't see the point of having a broadband connection when you
only can download 250 megabytes a month. That's not even 1 Linux CD.

Where do you get 250Mb from? Its 2 Gb a month, thats around 2000
Megabytes !

Old February 10th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 10 Feb 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, Pete wrote:

I don't see the point of having a broadband connection when you
only can download 250 megabytes a month.

Just because you download much more (and I'm guessing you meant 250 MB
a week, considering some quota limits are 1 GB), doesn't mean everyone
'needs' the same as you... some of my business clients are using ADSL
just for e-mail, and are within the basic 200 MB from Metronet... that
is 200 MB a month, not a week... The fact it is "always on", no delay
of the whistle to get online, if they do check some websites, and that
the phone is never engaged for hours due to the computer, checking for
mail, are the main advantages they see. Let alone cost savings, as it
is far cheaper, if you are able to get ADSL, to use something like the
Metronet PAYG service, for getting mail, than having to pay for the BT
Surftime Anytime (25.00) on top of an ISP "anytime" fee (I think it is
only Demon which has an affordable dial-up account at 19.99/month, for
someone not to have forced disconnections or a limit of 200 hours use,
each month... they allows users to be connected 24x7 for a price, that
price being about double many ADSL accounts these days (eg fixed IP at
22.50 a month from Freedom2surf or 10+VAT from Metronet). Peter M.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old February 10th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:56:58 +0000 (UTC), Pete
wrote:

In article ,
Martin² wrote:
Check out Madasafish.co.uk,
£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included,
no connection fee, free modem
AND two months FREE !
Yes, there is a 12 month contract, but you can get out for £80.

I must admit that the above deal is unbeatable.

I don't see the point of having a broadband connection when you
only can download 250 megabytes a month. That's not even 1 Linux CD.
You'd need to spread it over 3 months to not be charged. You'd end
up buying it from PC World!

I would agree, but who is offering a product where you can only
download 250MB/month?

The above product is offering 8 times that, at 2GB/month, and
additional GB at extra cost.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
There's my way, and then there's the easy way.

Old February 10th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel James

In article ,
Martin² wrote:
£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included,

... so you can run it for a whole second?

ITYM 2Mb/s with 2GB (or more likely GiB) included.

That *is* fairly good ... what are the service and support like?

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old February 10th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Woodhouse

In article , Harry wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:56:58 +0000 (UTC), Pete
wrote:

In article ,
Martin² wrote:
Check out Madasafish.co.uk,
£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included,
no connection fee, free modem
AND two months FREE !
Yes, there is a 12 month contract, but you can get out for £80.

I must admit that the above deal is unbeatable.

I don't see the point of having a broadband connection when you
only can download 250 megabytes a month. That's not even 1 Linux CD.

Where do you get 250Mb from? Its 2 Gb a month, thats around 2000
Megabytes !

"£17.99 for 2Gb/s with 2Gb included"

I read this as 2 Gigabits/s with 2 Gigabits included.
2Gb = .25GB.

Then again there could be some confusion over Gb meaning bits not
bytes.... but then if that is the case the line would be running
at 2 gigabytes per second.... which would be nice :-)

Pete
Old February 10th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

In article ,
Peter M wrote:
On 10 Feb 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, Pete wrote:

I don't see the point of having a broadband connection when you
only can download 250 megabytes a month.

Just because you download much more (and I'm guessing you meant 250 MB
a week, considering some quota limits are 1 GB), doesn't mean everyone
'needs' the same as you... some of my business clients are using ADSL

I did mean per month... but I'm suspecting that it is a classic
case of mis-using the Gb (bits) and GB(bytes) terminology.

It was just that the original post included the line
2Gbps speed, 2Gb included.

Pete