BT ADSL number checker

Old February 9th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default BT ADSL number checker

I was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions I have regarding
my eventual connection to an ADSL service:

Until recently I have been using BT Home Highway ISDN. On checking my main
telephone number on BT's ADSL number checker I was informed that my local
exchange will be ADSL enabled in March and I would be able to receive up to
a 2 Mbps service. I recently arranged for BT to remove my Home Highway box
and revert me back a PSTN line in preparation for ADSL. Now when I input my
phone number I am informed that I will only be able to obtain a 512 Kbps
service and only 1 Mbps service pending an engineer visit due to the
distance from the exchange to my house.

I live in a small village which is only 2.5 km from the exchange and when I
input various neighbours phone numbers into the ADSL checker, they all
register as being able to receive the 2 Mbps service in March. My questions
are as follows:

1. Why would this proposed connection speed now be different following
removal of my ISDN hardware?
2. Why does it appear to be only different (slower) for my phone number
compared to those of my neighbours?
3. Will the ISP use this information when I register for ADSL and not allow
me to subscribe to a 2 Mbps service?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve