About to move from ISDN to ADSL

Old February 9th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Spencelayh

Default About to move from ISDN to ADSL

Finally decided it's time to take the plunge and move from ISDN to ADSL
- Yes, I know, should have done it ages ago.

So maybe some of you here may be able to offer some advice for my
specific situation.

Firstly, I'm a small business (very small - it's just me) doing
software development and end user training. Email is run via Exchange
Server and I have 4 PC's, 1 running NT4 Server + Exchange 5.5 (to be
upgraded to 2000/2003 server + Exchange 200/2003 - haven't decided
which version yet), 1 running NT4 Workstation, 1 running 2000 Pro and a
notebook running XP. The first 3 will be on a wired network and I would
like to use a WiFi link for the Notebook.

I don't see speed as a major issue. My main requirement is for email,
some with attachments (mostly under 2Mb), plus news, surfing, a few
downloads and website maintenance. So 512k should be fast enough.

Last month total transfer was about 350Mb including News, Surfing and
Email. I'm realistic enough to accept that this figure won't be
representative when I've got a permanent connection, but I would think
2Gb should suffice.

OK, lets start with the hardware. After comments here and some web
sites, it seems that the Draytek Vigor range could be the router of
choice (since I neither want to pay the price nor start on the
learning curve required for a Cisco router). I was looking at the 2600G
as it will cover both the wired and wireless requirement. I know I
could probably get something with a similar spec for half the price of
the Vigor, but I prefer something I can just set up and leave. My Eicon
Diva ISDN T/A has been running for the past 5 years or so without a
hiccough, so I like the thought of reliability.

Two questions - I don't currently see myself using VoIP, but would it
be worth the extra 'just in case'; also I don't see much about Linksys
routers here. As they are a subsidiary of Cisco, one would think the
should be good, but anybody have any experience of them, or comments.

As far as the ISP goes, I need one who can supply a static IP and SMTP
mail in and out ('cos I'm using Exchange Server) and would also need
them to be able to hold mail in case my server went down (as it almost
certainly will at some point, even if it's only because the mains
supply fails).

I have been looking at the facilities of those that seem to get the
most support in this newsgroup and have narrowed it down to either
SOHO500 from Metronet or Teleworker Pro from PlusNet. In terms of my
anticipated use, I don't see that the capping talked about on the
PlusNet accounts being a problem, and in any case I can see some sort
of capping (or fair use policy if you prefer) being applied to all
carriers eventually, and lets face it, if my usage changes 20Gb/month
will allow me to download a whole music CD every day .

So, anybody get any comments they can pass on before I make my mind up
and spend my money.

--
Roger

Old February 9th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 09/02/2005 Roger Spencelayh wrote:

[...]

There has been some criticsm of the wireless performance of the 2600
(see thread up a bit), it put me off so I went for the Linksys WAG54G
and am pleased with it. No VOIP on the Linksys though.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.4
Old February 9th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:15:56 UTC, Roger Spencelayh
wrote:

Finally decided it's time to take the plunge and move from ISDN to ADSL
- Yes, I know, should have done it ages ago.

So maybe some of you here may be able to offer some advice for my
specific situation.

Look seriously at AAISP.

http://aa.nu

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old February 9th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:00:12 UTC, Tx2
wrote:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net, a.k.a Bob Eager says...

Look seriously at AAISP.

Aren't they somewhat expensive Bob?

He's running a business. His requirements would be satisfied by the
2Mb/s service at 27.02 a month. I doubt that'll break the bank, and it
seems to provide static IPs and everything else he wants.

Anyway, I'm sure he can decide price-wise.
Old February 9th 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Tx2 wrote:

Bob Eager says...

Look seriously at AAISP.

Aren't they somewhat expensive Bob?

I'm not personally an AA ADSL customer, though I have dealt with them
for other things, anyway I'd say if you want to migrate from ISDN to
PSTN+ADSL and don't want hitches along the way they are a strong
contender, you get what you pay for, if it's a business you shouldn't be
*too* penny pinching, you'll get what you pay for ...
Old February 10th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...
In article , rde42
@spamcop.net, a.k.a Bob Eager says...

Look seriously at AAISP.

Aren't they somewhat expensive Bob?

For the service they provide they are cheap. IMO a business would be
mad to look elsewhere.

Old February 10th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:50:11 -0000, Tx2 wrote:

In article ,
, a.k.a Alastair says...

For the service they provide they are cheap. IMO a business would be
mad to look elsewhere.

oK, large portion of pie eaten! I don't think i read the OP accurately
enough, i missed the business bit ....

i'm going to sulk now ;-)

Choose an ISP that offers a managed connection and go for the Draytek range, looking carefully at
the options available. Get yourself a fixed IP to take full advantage of VPN. I have no first hand
experience of ISPs other than BT and Nildram but recent events have seen many of their users jumping
ship in favour of Zen. So check out what others have to say but IMHO those best avoided are BT, AOL,
PlusNet and Tesco.

However, think carefully about possible future use of the ISDN line. Maybe its use could be employed
as extra numbers on your switch or if that is at present an aging analogue piece of equipment, newer
switches have extensively more features if a digital service [ISDN] is used. If you do keep this
ISDN line, then your Broadband facility will need to be on a new line or piggy backed onto an
existing one, say, your fax or alarm line for example.

Incidentally with some ISPs it is a real pain to set up your email facilities if using your own
Domain name; check for potential problems before you sign up with your selected ISP.

David Bradley

Old February 10th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Spencelayh

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:
Look seriously at AAISP.

I did, but it's about twice the price per month than the other 2, and I
couldn't see what I got for that extra cost. Ah, just noticed a few
messages down you are referring to their Home product; I was comparing
their Small Office product at 60/month. I wonder how they'd react to
supporting SMTP mail (an Exchange Server) with backup on their Home
account.

--
Roger

Old February 10th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Spencelayh

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:
if it's a business you shouldn't be
*too* penny pinching, you'll get what you pay for ...

Agreed, but I was comparing their Business tariff, and wondering just
what I got for an extra 30/month. If they'll handle SMTP mail with a
mail server backup, then I might just go for the Home tariff.

--
Roger

Old February 10th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:00:40 GMT, Roger Spencelayh wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:
Look seriously at AAISP.

I did, but it's about twice the price per month than the other 2, and I
couldn't see what I got for that extra cost. Ah, just noticed a few
messages down you are referring to their Home product; I was comparing
their Small Office product at 60/month. I wonder how they'd react to
supporting SMTP mail (an Exchange Server) with backup on their Home
account.

Home packages are normally defined as 50:1 whereas Business packages are 20:1 - providing the ISP
will open the ports for you, then it's safe to assume they acquiesce to your intended usage.

Use a Nildram "Home" package together with a fixed IP that adds up to 29.50 per month - this would
provide you with what you are looking for. No doubt something similar can be found with other ISPs
for a few pounds less.

David Bradley