can't get bt voyager working

Old February 10th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

Default can't get bt voyager working

Hi,

my dad has signed up for BT Yahoo internet. It came with the voyager router
which I plugged into my laptop downstairs to make sure it works. I didn't
run BT's CD, I just went straight into the config page and the user/password
filled itself in after a few seconds and it connected to the internet ok.
I then moved the router upstairs to the tower pc. There is a telephone
extention cable which goes downstairs and is plugged into the filter then
the wall. The DSL light is flashing most of the time and it will not connect
to the internet. It fails all but the first diagnostics tests, but it does
have a up/down link speed. It doesn't get online even when the light stays
on.
A telephone works ok upstairs, could it be a c**p router that needs to be
closer to the wall socket?

any info appriecated,

cheers
matt.

ps. also tried moving the filter to the pc-end

Old February 10th 05, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Matt:
[...]

The router needs to be connected unfiltered, and you have the extension
upstairs connected downstairs via a filter, so the router is getting a
filtered signal, which it shouldn't. Phones need filtering not modems /
routers.

Old February 10th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:39:56 -0000, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

[...]

That is, ADSL modems. Treat analogue modems as 'phones.
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 10th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh PeeGee:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I am slipping that is twice now in as many days, I have left statements
unclear!

Old February 11th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

it was a combination of wrong wiring and wrong router setup. Instead of
running BT's cd I just accessed the routers page(192.168...) and entered the
user/password that was sent in a letter. I phoned BT and they said not to do
that, and they gave me a different user/password to type in, all is ok now.

cheers,

matt.
Thus spaketh PeeGee: