Do I need back up dial up modem

Old February 10th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Do I need back up dial up modem

I have been on BB for a year or so and never had to dial on the old dial up
modem. I am getting a new PC but is it essential to have a dial up modem
just in case as I think the old one isn't working anyway?

Ken

Old February 10th 05, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:33:06 -0000, "Ken" [email protected] wrote:

I have been on BB for a year or so and never had to dial on the old dial up
modem. I am getting a new PC but is it essential to have a dial up modem
just in case as I think the old one isn't working anyway?

Ken

Essential - no, but I'm a believer in belt, braces and a piece of
string.

I still use dial up to keep my old e-mail addresses, 'cos I'm too lazy
to contact/change all issued addresses.
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 10th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:33:06 -0000, "Ken" [email protected] wrote:

I have been on BB for a year or so and never had to dial on the old dial up
modem. I am getting a new PC but is it essential to have a dial up modem
just in case as I think the old one isn't working anyway?

Its a good idea, tho I'd leave it unplugged as that defends you
against premium rate dialler hijacks. You may also want it for sending
/ recieving faxes.

Old February 10th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

I use it to maintain old Accounts too that I use for mail, funny thing is I
just did them, about every 3 months, then I date the account name so I know
when to do it next.

I also disconnect the modem phone line, I also disable it in system /
hardware devices. I also use it some time to FAX documents.

You can have both running at same time, BB and modem.

Old February 11th 05, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

It's Me wrote:
I use it to maintain old Accounts too that I use for mail, funny thing is I
just did them, about every 3 months, then I date the account name so I know
when to do it next.

I also disconnect the modem phone line, I also disable it in system /
hardware devices. I also use it some time to FAX documents.

You can have both running at same time, BB and modem.

Indeed, of course with an external the power switch is more convenient.

Keep-alive is also handy for webspace where the base address is known

Other uses are 'remote control' experiments to your network. VNC to a
PC in the same room out via modem and back in on BB.

Also handy for any visitors with awkward POP servers.

Bill