Netgear DG834G Beta Firmware 2.10.09

Old February 10th 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Netgear DG834G Beta Firmware 2.10.09

Just noticed this on the netgear website!

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

Old February 10th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip K

On 10 Feb 2005 05:28:12 -0800, wrote:

Just noticed this on the netgear website!

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

I installed it a few hours ago and so far it seems fine.

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old February 10th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On 10 Feb 2005 05:28:12 -0800, wrote:

Just noticed this on the netgear website!

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

All very well adding VPN gateway support for a home router, but $46
for the recommended VPN client software for casual, personal use? I
think not!

That aside, been up and running with the beta version for all of 23
minutes now and still online with no packet loss, which is more than
can be said for previous DG834G firmware releases IME.

Jake

Old February 11th 05, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

How do you measure packet loss with this router?

Paul DS.

Old February 11th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Bailey

Does any one know of any other cheaper (or free!) client VPN software
(Windows XP Home) that will work with the router?

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't specifically need the
Netgear prosafe SW?

Matt

Old February 11th 05, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:59:55 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

How do you measure packet loss with this router?

Paul DS.

I don't, I measure it with ping -t [target ip address] in a DOS
command prompt.

Previous problems I've encountered with Netgear ADSL router firmware
upgrades (not just the DG834G) include:
a) 10 seconds or so of continuous packet loss every 5-ish minutes (I
bet you it was every 32,767ms - that would be about right!)
b) Random packet loss
c) Lost sync every couple of hours

But so far this beta version seems okay. Touch wood...

Jake

Old February 11th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On 11 Feb 2005 05:17:16 -0800, "Matthew Bailey"
wrote:

Does any one know of any other cheaper (or free!) client VPN software
(Windows XP Home) that will work with the router?

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't specifically need the
Netgear prosafe SW?

Matt

You don't specifically need the prosafe client, which isn't specific
to Netgear anyway. It's also used by Sonicwall (who had an early hand
in developing Netgear's firewall and VPN firmware, as it happens).

But it ain't a bad client, and I've used it before commercially. If I
can get hold of a /trial/ version (ahem!) from a friend, I'll be
happy!

I'd also be interested to know of free clients that work with Netgear
VPN.

Jake

Old February 11th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Does any one know of any other cheaper (or free!) client VPN software
(Windows XP Home) that will work with the router?

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't specifically need the
Netgear prosafe SW?

Matt

You don't specifically need the prosafe client, which isn't specific
to Netgear anyway. It's also used by Sonicwall (who had an early hand
in developing Netgear's firewall and VPN firmware, as it happens).

But it ain't a bad client, and I've used it before commercially. If I
can get hold of a /trial/ version (ahem!) from a friend, I'll be
happy!

I'd also be interested to know of free clients that work with Netgear
VPN.

Jake

Firmware v2.10.10 final....due soon...apparently!
Curious jump from v1.05.00 to v2.10.10.....

Old February 12th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:32:58 -0000, "M" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Does any one know of any other cheaper (or free!) client VPN software
(Windows XP Home) that will work with the router?

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't specifically need the
Netgear prosafe SW?

Matt

You don't specifically need the prosafe client, which isn't specific
to Netgear anyway. It's also used by Sonicwall (who had an early hand
in developing Netgear's firewall and VPN firmware, as it happens).

But it ain't a bad client, and I've used it before commercially. If I
can get hold of a /trial/ version (ahem!) from a friend, I'll be
happy!

I'd also be interested to know of free clients that work with Netgear
VPN.

Jake

Firmware v2.10.10 final....due soon...apparently!
Curious jump from v1.05.00 to v2.10.10.....

It would be interesting to know how Netgear number their firmwares!

Then again, maybe not... as long as it does what it says on the
'tin'...

Jake

Old February 12th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:09:52 +0000 (UTC), Philip K
wrote:

On 10 Feb 2005 05:28:12 -0800, wrote:

Just noticed this on the netgear website!

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

I installed it a few hours ago and so far it seems fine.

I don't like this....

Known Issues

1. If popup blockers are enabled on a client PC, they must be disabled
for certain DG834 or DG834G management Web pages to appear, including
the connection test page.

This isn't a problem AFAIK with the 1.5.0 that I am running so I can
never understand why 'Bugs' like this can get introduced.

Filthy Rich
Music House