If your line can only support 512......

Old February 10th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Decal

Default If your line can only support 512......

will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

--
Cheers
Decal

-------------------------------
decal at dsl dot pipex dot com
-------------------------------

Old February 10th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.
Old February 10th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.

ah but they said that 2 years ago, then last September the goals changed.
So there is always a possibility that they will increase the limits further.

Old February 10th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:50:53 -0000, "Decal"
wrote:

will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

That depends on how badly it can only support 512K.

If you are only just outside the limits, they will probably change
them again at some point.

If you are a long way outside the current limits, you are unlikely to
get it until the next generation of Broadband comes along (ADLS2?)

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
There's my way, and then there's the easy way.

Old February 11th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.

ah but they said that 2 years ago, then last September the goals changed.
So there is always a possibility that they will increase the limits further.

Actually not.
The current limits are pretty close to the technical ones.
Go much lower, and you start getting significant numbers of lines that
are intermittent.
Old February 11th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.

ah but they said that 2 years ago, then last September the goals changed.
So there is always a possibility that they will increase the limits
further.

Actually not.
The current limits are pretty close to the technical ones.
Go much lower, and you start getting significant numbers of lines that
are intermittent.

Of course there is always a possibility. BT are even trialling 8mb soon.
They are also to be trialling ths summer the adsl+ but that wil be sometime
yet before its a reality, probably a few years.

Old February 11th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:26:01 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.

Nope it will require pushing the DSLAM's out the exchanges and into
roadside green boxes. This is probably the most sensible way in the
longer term to reach those customers at distance from the exchange.
It is also the best way to provide very high speed broadband (i.e.
something like VDSL) to more than a select few. A single optical fiber
could easily support 20 users at 50Mbps.

It will need new products, but not new technology.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old February 11th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.

Nope it will require pushing the DSLAM's out the exchanges and into
roadside green boxes. This is probably the most sensible way in the
longer term to reach those customers at distance from the exchange.
It is also the best way to provide very high speed broadband (i.e.
something like VDSL) to more than a select few. A single optical fiber
could easily support 20 users at 50Mbps.

It will need new products, but not new technology.

I was meaning new technology in the "BT'd need to put in new kit".

Using the existing wiring to the green boxes as a backhaul would be an
obvious option.
ADSL (with varying up and down bandwidths) on all the incoming wires, would
obviously provide far greater bandwidth to the end users than
using each wire seperately back to the exchange.
Add VOIP-DACS type boxes, and you eliminate much of the digging for new lines.
Old February 12th 05, 06:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Originally I applied for 1mb, but BT told +Net in view of loaction
could only get 512 service.
Amonth later I applied for upgrade, on basis there'd be no regrade
charge if 1mb not available.
Last Tuesday I finally got my 1mb, despite being fair distance from
exchange.
Also bear in mind that as BT doing normal line maintenance/upgrade work
that may improve the odds too.

Old February 12th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

Decal wrote:
will it ever change? In view of all these upgrades?

Probably not in the near term.
It'll need new technology.

Nope it will require pushing the DSLAM's out the exchanges and into
roadside green boxes. This is probably the most sensible way in the
longer term to reach those customers at distance from the exchange.
It is also the best way to provide very high speed broadband (i.e.
something like VDSL) to more than a select few. A single optical fiber
could easily support 20 users at 50Mbps.

It will need new products, but not new technology.

I was meaning new technology in the "BT'd need to put in new kit".

An interesting new meaning to the term "new technology"

Using the existing wiring to the green boxes as a backhaul would be an
obvious option.

Won't work, you need new wiring for the backhaul. Admittedly it is
probably cheaper to pull a single fibre optical bundle to a green box than
a pile of copper.

The idea is not new, and it is basically what TPON is, but this just deals
with your basic POTS and more recently ISDN. What is needed is DSLAM's
that can be feed from a spare TPON fibre that will go in a roadside green
box.

If I was head of strategic planning at BT, this would be my primary goal.
It provides the long term future upgrade path from ADSL, and in the
shorter term provides a method of providing broadband to those to far
from the exchange today.

Better still your first customers will most like put while the bugs are
worked out. It is either this or nothing

ADSL (with varying up and down bandwidths) on all the incoming wires, would
obviously provide far greater bandwidth to the end users than
using each wire seperately back to the exchange.
Add VOIP-DACS type boxes, and you eliminate much of the digging for new lines.

I suspect as a large numbers of second "internet" phone lines disappear
with the ever increasing uptake of broadband there will be plenty of spare
lines, vastly reducing the need to dig holes for new ones.

JAB.