Simple Network

Old February 12th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Penn

Default Simple Network

As the subject says I have two computers connected directlty using a
crossover cat cable. I am sharing my broadband connection using ms
internet sharing which seems to work quite well. However I see that
most people use routers for this purpose and I wondered what the
advantages are and whether they would justify the extra expense?

Regards Alan
Old February 12th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Alan Penn explained :
As the subject says I have two computers connected directlty using a
crossover cat cable. I am sharing my broadband connection using ms
internet sharing which seems to work quite well. However I see that
most people use routers for this purpose and I wondered what the
advantages are and whether they would justify the extra expense?

It certainly is worth while for you to get a modem/router. It would
usually include a hardware firewall and would enable you to use the
Internet instantly on either machine without need for the one with the
modem to be turned on.

If you just intend to get a bare router to share the connection as at
present, then it would be no advantage to be gained, that is unless you
wanted to share to three or more systems. For three or more I would
still go down the modem/router route.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org