Looking for a good Wi-Fi Access point

Old February 12th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

Default Looking for a good Wi-Fi Access point

"BORG" wrote in message
to connect to my safecom Modem/Router.

Not got a lot to spend though what are the recommendations from the
group then please ?

Thanks

Hi Borg

I have had real fun and games with wireless routers so in the end was
advised to get a wireless AP and use my old wired router that has always
worked well.

So got a cheap one from Dabs - its the DAbs Value one as here

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...access%20point

or dabs quicklinx code 3K7QWS

which actually is an Edimax EW-7203APg

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/englis...EW-7203APg.htm

Anyway is a cracking bit of kit, easy to set up and works a treat - well
worth the money

HTH

DeeBee

Old February 12th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 12/02/2005 BORG wrote:

So I just plug this into the Ethernet on my Modem/Router and it
becomes a wireless base station then ?

Bit new to this so excuse the basic approach please

I'm fed up with wires trailing across the house. my phone socket is
one side of the room and my computer is at the other end. I want to
set the Modem/Router and WAP near the phone socket and be able to use
a computer in any room.

At present this one has to be on for the others to access the net.

Thanks

That's the theory :-)

In practice wireless can be a bit hit or miss and the signal strength
falls rapidly if there are walls between the WAP and the PC. I am in a
bungalow and I put the WAP in the loft which means the signal only
needs to get through the ceiling (although be aware of foil backed
plaster-board), and I get a signal all over the ground floor.

I can't tell from the link above if this WAP has any wired ports as
well? You may want to be sure for future expansion.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.6
Old February 12th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

"BORG" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:59:36 GMT, "DeeBee"
wrote:

"BORG" wrote in message
. ..
to connect to my safecom Modem/Router.

Not got a lot to spend though what are the recommendations from the
group then please ?

Thanks

Hi Borg

I have had real fun and games with wireless routers so in the end was
advised to get a wireless AP and use my old wired router that has always
worked well.

So got a cheap one from Dabs - its the DAbs Value one as here

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...access%20point

or dabs quicklinx code 3K7QWS

which actually is an Edimax EW-7203APg

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/englis...EW-7203APg.htm

Anyway is a cracking bit of kit, easy to set up and works a treat - well
worth the money

HTH

DeeBee

ordered one, thanks

Did you get the last one then? I looked earlier and they were out of stock!

DeeBee